Long range Scope Info

BLASERMAN

Never had a long range scope, Explain zero stop , What do you site one in for.
Is turrets better the a multi recticle, or do you use both.

What are you looking to do with your "Long Range Scope?" Definitions of long range scopes will vary quite a bit. My long range scopes were a Sightron S III 10-50x and a NightForce Benchrest model. Neither one had zero stops.....just very precise 1/8 moa calibrated turrets and fine cross hairs. These scopes were suited for long range paper punching.

For long range hunting / tactical.....the scopes tend to have ranging reticles and zero stops. Zero stops come in to play when you are dialing in various adjustments according to your data for your particular cartridge at certain distances and wind conditions, also called "Dope." The zero stop is set so you can always get back to a known adjustment....ie it is set for a 100 or 200 yard bullseye. Someone could come along and twist the turret up and down and you can always find your zero.....and go from there. Tactical reticles generally have more elements to them.....often times for ranging or quick compensation for range and / or wind. The business of the reticle might be bothersome for long range paper punching. Also, the calibration of the turrets might not be as precise with a tactical / hunting scope versus a competition type scope. I've tried both at 1,000 yards....the 1/8 moa adjustment....per single click....is 1.25" generally standard scopes have 1/4 moa adjustments which would be 2.5". My tactical scopes have 0.1 Mil adjustments.....which yield 3.6" per click at 1000 yards. The 1/8 moa adjustments made punching paper at long range more consistent for me. I also felt it was a bit easier to get dialed in. For hunting and field use....it's easy to get lost or mess up with the 1/8 moa clicks.....because there generally are a fair amount of clicks to count out and the lack of zero stop.

So.....there are very different scopes that fit the definition of "Long Range" and it just depends on what you intend to use the scope for?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.