Long range scope for hunting

Longshotjames

i am looking for a long range hunting scope that will see action out to 1000yds regular with steel beyond however I also pack this rifle for elk and am unhappy with the current ffp scope I am using with close or low light shots. I prefer the weight to stay around 24oz

I am considering the zeiss V6 3-18x50

Any other suggestions or comments on the V6?
James

Vx5hd 3-15x56 if you want low light capabilities. Best low light scope I've looked thru. The firedot reticle is awesome. Scope is extremely clear and I have shot it out to 1200 yards and the 15 power was just fine.

i am looking for a long range hunting scope that will see action out to 1000yds regular with steel beyond however I also pack this rifle for elk and am unhappy with the current ffp scope I am using with close or low light shots. I prefer the weight to stay around 24oz

I am considering the zeiss V6 3-18x50

Any other suggestions or comments on the V6?
James
What current scope are you using?

I've been using the Zeiss V6 for about 6 months now and am quite pleased. Glass is good, but not "best." Tracking and overall functionality is great. Weight is not too heavy either. I'm also in the process of buying a 2nd one for a new build.

What current scope are you using?
I have a vortex viper HS LR 6-24x50. It's a great scope and works perfect for my Texas hunting and long range shooting. I own 2 of them, I've beat them abused them. Dialed them up and down for 2yrs and they track and hold zero. I've shot them to 1mile with good results but being in the FFP they suck at close ranges in low light. The times elk like to move, the crosshairs almost disappear at low power.

If the viper long range was offered in a Sfp I would just get it, but it's not an option....,sigh*

James

Does the Vx5HD 3-15x56 have a zero stop? Is that a leupold?

the Sightron III is close to what I am asking for but no zero stop kills that idea.
James

Last edited:
So far the vx5 3-15 I have seems to be a lot of scope for the money. Seems to have decent glass and tracks well so far. The vx6 my brother has is performing very well. He has used it quite a bit. Has good glass and tracking has been spot on. He is very happy with it.

Does the Vx5HD 3-15x56 have a zero stop? Is that a leupold?

the Sightron III is close to what I am asking for but no zero stop kills that idea.
James

Actually, Sightron is accepting the SIII for retrofit zero stop installs right now. I think they plan on having the zero stop avilable for purchase by June but I'm not sure on exactly when.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.