Long Range School - Need advice please

Thanks to Shane and YoBuck and the rest of you guys, I have Booked my lesson at Bang Steel, in Virginia. Really Looking forward to taking the Weatherby Mark V , In 270 Weatherby Mag, and about 80 matched handloads with 150 Grn ABLRs to the school. December 7th and 8th.

Thanks to Shane and YoBuck and the rest of you guys, I have Booked my lesson at Bang Steel, in Virginia. Really Looking forward to taking the Weatherby Mark V , In 270 Weatherby Mag, and about 80 matched handloads with 150 Grn ABLRs to the school. December 7th and 8th.
Might be helpfull for others if you post about your experience there.

Yes I will, Since !! I am going In Early December, the Regular schools are all done, so I will be taught by One instructor with just me( Poor Guy ) , for both days. They asked that the rifle zero at 100 yards, with about 1/2 inch to left to compensate for spin drift beyond 600 yards. This is a hunting rifle so I do not think my Leupold VX 3 4.5X to 14X , on Dual Dovetail Leupold Bases, has enough elevation adjustment for beyond 700 yards, but they preferred that scope to my Leupold VX 3 8.25X to 25X. I'm just a student, so I will just listen and learn, and pass it all back to you guys when I get home. I'm sorry I don't know how to actually Start a conversation , or thread???? Any help would be appreciated !!!!

I may have missed it, but where is the hunt at?

It would also be good to track down a person who has hunted the area before to get an idea what distances to expect and terrain. Sheep can be in rugged areas, but time of year, rut, and other factors can influence where they favor at a given time, similar to other game animals.

Good luck! It is a long way out and trust me, you cannot be over prepared. I only had 3 1/2 months to get it all sorted out last year when I drew a tag :)

I may have missed it, but where is the hunt at?

It would also be good to track down a person who has hunted the area before to get an idea what distances to expect and terrain. Sheep can be in rugged areas, but time of year, rut, and other factors can influence where they favor at a given time, similar to other game animals.

Good luck! It is a long way out and trust me, you cannot be over prepared. I only had 3 1/2 months to get it all sorted out last year when I drew a tag :)

The hunt is in Alaska, outfitter has two areas; Wrangell & Alaska Range, he said most shots are from 200 - 400 yds, however he said if I can shoot to 500 it can help.

The hunt is in Alaska, outfitter has two areas; Wrangell & Alaska Range, he said most shots are from 200 - 400 yds, however he said if I can shoot to 500 it can help.
One of these days I will venture up that way.... Will be great to see pictures when it's all done!

Hanging on the wall of our Pa camp is a Dall ram, along with a moose and grizzley all shot by my father on a Yukon hunt in 1952.
There were 3 hunters total on the 30 day hunt with Alex Van Bibber.
Each had his own guide, there was also a cook and 2 horse wranglers for the 27 horses used on the trip.
Each hunter killed a bear a moose and a sheep, and the all used 30/06 rifles.
The cost of the hunt was $1500.00 each for the 30 days.
The Alcan highway was a dirt road the entire length at that time, and the entire trip from Pa took them almost 2 months.
I have since known at least 10 others who took a hunt for sheep and they all came home with a sheep.
None of the people mentioned were into long range hunting at all, and all were far from what we might today call an expert shot.
If your physical condition is good you will no doubt do well, assuming you take along very good optics for glassing.

It's not the distance or even the angle, as much as the wind. Wind separates the trigger pullers from the shooters.......those who pack meat home, from those who stop at PigglyWiggly on the way home. . Shoot in the wind until it becomes your friend. An old adage, "Amateurs practice til they get it right. Pros practice til they cannot get it wrong."

Last edited:
It's not the distance or even the angle, as much as the wind. Wind separates the trigger pullers from the shooters.......those who pack home meat, from those who tuck their tail home. . Shoot in the wind until it becomes your friend. An old adage, "Amateurs practice til they get it right. Pros practice til they cannot get it wrong."
You are right on with that statement, up and down is pretty easy to calculate, there is no solid science with the wind, has to be almost instinct out past 600 - 700 yards.