Long Range School - Need advice please

I have a sheep hunt Aug of 2022 and living in GA, do not have places for long range shooting.
Thinking of taking a class at ;

If you where going to go to class would you go say in...... Feb 22 or wait till June/July right before hunt?

Anyone that has attended class, feel free to DM your experiences.

Thank you in advance!
Hat Creek training if you can get in, Bryan Morgan's place is amazing and you are shooting in some big country out in Idaho

I have a sheep hunt Aug of 2022 and living in GA, do not have places for long range shooting.

If you where going to go to class would you go say in...... Feb 22 or wait till June/July right before hunt?

Thank you in advance!
Sooner the better to master learned skills before hunt. Applying new concepts during a hunt has potential to screw up your once in a lifetime opportunity. Consider taking the class in weather/season/topography similar to that you will be hunting in.

Thank you in advance!

if you're gonna spend that much on just the class

this will save you some coinage, and ive heard nothing but great things about these folks. it's the class my wife and I are gonna take when her rifle is completed

it's just over the border of NC in Wytheville VA, is Bang Steel

i know they take folks out to 1k and they have the capability to go out to 2k maybe it's just a mile

Thank you in advance!
I got my long range training in the Army back in the mid 70s, which may or may not be relevant in today's world. We used conventional shoulder held firearms predominantly the M14 and Winchester Model 70's in 300 H&H Magnum. However Vortex Optics at their new facilities in Barneveld, WI has several different professionally led shooting courses under their Vortex Edge training. One of these is a long range shooting course which I have heard from several participants is excellent and relevant to todays world. I'm not sure of the cost but you can find the information and schedule at www.vortexoptics.com.

I live in GA. I go to Cool Acres Sporting Camp for PRS (great way to learn long range off a bench) and Dead Zero Shooting Park (up in TN). If you go to Dead Zero, the rangemaster (potentially the owner) will show you all you need to know. Can't recommend enough the K&M long range course, too. That's a 2-day event up in TN but much farther than Dead Zero from Atlanta. You can DOPE your gun to 1200 yards at that and also shoot moving targets.

I'll join ya to a range if the times line up. I can show you the basics, too.

Thank you in advance!
If you do take a class make sure that you can also shoot the rifle you will be using for your hunt if they are using their rifles to get you on target.
Where do you live in GA?
I am associated with a Private PRS range and we have a range out to1 K. I might be able to take you there for some LD shooting after you get your basics down and want to tune up before your trip. Our range is in Sparta, GA.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Took a 3 day course locally. Loved it. It came in handy when I moved to Missouri for a year. Plenty of places to shoot in Missouri out to 1400 yards. Moved back to Texas the longest place I have to shoot is 500 yards. Knowledge and skills acquired well worth it but at the end of the day if you don't have a place to push the distance regularly it becomes a bummer. You start doing things like how far can I shoot a subsonic .22 for a challenge bwhahahahah...

If you do take a class make sure that you can also shoot the rifle you will be using for your hunt if they are using their rifles to get you on target.
Where do you live in GA?
I am associated with a Private PRS range and we have a range out to1 K. I might be able to take you there for some LD shooting after you get your basics down and want to tune up before your trip. Our range is in Sparta, GA.

Thanks
Len & Jill

Thanks Len! I live in Alpharetta, but hunted right down the road from you for years in Morgan & Jasper counties.

If possible, I'd love to go maybe next late Spring/Summer.

Thank you for your help!!

Recent Posts