Long Range School - Need advice please

257WHBY13

I have a sheep hunt Aug of 2022 and living in GA, do not have places for long range shooting.
Thinking of taking a class at ;

If you where going to go to class would you go say in...... Feb 22 or wait till June/July right before hunt?

Anyone that has attended class, feel free to DM your experiences.

Thank you in advance!

Great Question "257" and great responses. I am learning a lot from this. I am planning a Mule Deer hunt and want to use my .270 Weatherby Mag again. I will follow these suggestions closely. Lenny

Find a school that will let you bring your intended hunting rifle. Part of the reason to get some training is not just to learn to use your weapon system but to learn your weapon system's limitations. My classes have had plenty of people show up with pencil barrel hunting rifles. They do just fine. BC uses their own rifles/ammo IIRC. Fine for learning the rudiments but doesn't teach you how your rifle behaves. That's not a knock on BC, just a point to be aware of. For straight up beginners BC would probably be a decent option since they don't have to tolerate differences in student gear. When students all have different gear it can make for a lot of interruptions and edge case explanations, doesn't help the class focus.

Excellent point!!!! Why learn on the schools rifle , when its not what you will be hunting with? On the Western Extreme TV show , all the students have just purchased their new 1000 yard scopes and rifle Combos from the company who makes the rifles and runs the school. I would only want a school that will allow me to learn to shoot my rifle scope combo, with my load, at extended ranges. Speaking only for my self , 500 to 600 yards would be max for me. Any suggestions for a school on the East coast would be most appreciated.

Gunwerks has three different classes for long range shooting. One of them is in sheep terrain and you shot angles and dangles with your rifle. Pretty Reasonable for what you get. I went to the first class and it was worth every penny. I hope to sign up for the Level 3 class this upcoming year as you can never have to much knowledge or practice shooting in the mountains. They are great guys to talk with and even better guys to meet in person. I don't think you could go wrong with one of their classes especially seeing your going on a once in a lifetime hunt. Good luck with whatever you choose and good luck on your hunt. Look forward to seeing your post with the Big Ram when you get back.

Last edited: