Long Range Rookie needs Scope Reading help

teddy12b

Hello Everyone,
I've been shooting my whole life, but it's always been close to where I would just set my scopes for 100 yards and I would be fine.
Now I'm getting into much longer range shooting where I have to adjust the clicks on my scopes for different distances and I'm really enjoying it, but as a rookie trying to interpret the numbers on my scopes dials is new to me. Is there a good article for a guy like me to look at and read? I'm familiar with calipers and other measuring instruments, but I have never had to measure anything in MOA and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to read that.
So far I just keep adjusting the elevation until I hit what I'm shooting at farther out then make a pencil mark for the range on my adjustment knob.
I appreciate any help! Thanks.

Well the easy way is just to record the number of clicks you've had to dial at a given range and extrapolate a drop chart that way. However, that doesn't really take into acount weather and elevation. But for the most part it'll be good enough out to fairly reasonable distance. If you have a chronograph, or access to one; clock your favorite load and look up the ballistic coefficient (B.C.) of the bullet you're shooting. Then keep good notes when you're shooting and plug in the weather conditions to one of the online ballistic calculators (do a search here to find some), Then you can play with the numbers until you can match a trajectory curve to your data and you have a fairly good drop chart for your rifle. If you want to go all out you can get a ballistics program (exbal) for a PDA and plug in data prior to the shot.

Well it figures that I'd find out part of what I was after shortly I after posted a question I've been wondering about for weeks. For whatever reason I was goofed up on the 1/8th and 1/4 scope dash marks.

I've got my range marked on the scope on my 223, but it would make more sense to go back and count the clicks to make sure I have it right.

I have the newest versions of the Sierra ballistics program on the way so hopefully I'll start getting squared away on this long range shooting.

One MOA (minute of angle) is equal to one inch at 100 yards. Because it is an "angle" one MOA at 200 yards is equal to 2 inches and at 300 yards 3inches and so on.

Now then, when you graduate up to a big gun you will need to understand that one MOA is actually equal to 1.047 inches and that is important at ranges past 800 yards.

ok,

lets say X rifle is sighted in at 100 yards, you've ranged your target, your rangefinder says its 873 yards. your chart says your 112" low at 875 yards, so take 112" devided by 1.047( MOA), you get 106.97 so take 107 dived by range in hundreds of yards in this case 8.73 you come up with 12.25 MOA so dial up from zero to 12.25 and shoot.
The easiest way is print your charts out with a program that offers a MOA setting , here is a good one http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/calculations/traj_card/traj_card.html
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.