Long range rimfire caliber for wma hunts

Loud by design

Hello all,

Over the past few years a few friends and I have started to explore our local WMAs in search for pigs and have been reasonably successful. One of the limiting factors we have run into is that during small game season when the majority of the hog hunting is done we are restricted to only using shotgun or rimfire to harvest any animals. This has led to someone carrying a 17hmr or wsm and the other carrying a 12 gauge with slugs or buckshot. Even though the 17s have helped us harvest a number of animals at extended ranges I'd have to think that someone somewhere has a bigger rimfire cartridge that would allow for a larger margin of error. Recently I started reading up on the 5mm Aguila recently started producing ammo for but even that is only marginally better than the 17s. Any ideas on something maybe in the 30 cal range with a bit more energy that would allow us to reach out a little further?

Air rifles are something I'll have to look into a bit. The 22 mag is pretty close in performance to the 17s and I'm looking for something quite a bit more substantial. If anyone else has any suggestions I'm open to them as well. It just seems that someone in another state with similar regulations or maybe another country would have run into this already.

The original Henry rifles were rimfire, but good luck with ammo. There were also some bigger single shot provides from way back then. Savage and somebody else makes bolt action slug guns that are good to two hundred yards. That's what I would be looking at. A buddy of mine has killed several pigs with his hi power and rifle. I have killed a bunch with my lever 22 mag.

The best rim fire for energy that I have found for this use has been the Winchester 40 grain bullet @ 1910 ft/sec for 324 ft/lbs muzzle energy. the 50 grain bullets only produce 1530 ft/sec for 260 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

The 5 mm produces 322 ft/lbs of energy using a 30 grain bullet @2200 ft/sec.

The 17 Winchester super Mag produces the most energy at the muzzle for 400 ft/lbs with a 20 grain bullet @ 3000 ft/sec.

The next best energy is the 22 WMR for 324 ft/lbs with a 40 grain bullet @1910 ft/sec.

And then comes the the 17 HMR with 240 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with a 17 grain bullet @ 2550 ft/sec.

I love the 17 HMR but don't recommend it for hogs.
The 22 WMR adds almost 100 ft/lbs to the 17 HMR and the heavier bullet seems to out perform the Super Mag on hogs using the 20 grain bullet.

I am currently working on a 22 WMR with a custom 24" barrel that should get everything out of the cartridge. we will see when it is finished.

J E CUSTOM

morning, I use 12ga. 3" magnum weatherby semi-auto goose
gun 32" barrel. buckshot 18 pellets sellot shells.
coyotes Federal 3" magnum 41 #4 pellets. both
kill very well. EO-tech sight. justme gbot tum

Don't know if this is legal during this season, but it will definitely bring down a big boar hog.

Just another option.

J E CUSTOM

The best rim fire for energy that I have found for this use has been the Winchester 40 grain bullet @ 1910 ft/sec for 324 ft/lbs muzzle energy. the 50 grain bullets only produce 1530 ft/sec for 260 ft/lbs of muzzle energy.

The 5 mm produces 322 ft/lbs of energy using a 30 grain bullet @2200 ft/sec.

The 17 Winchester super Mag produces the most energy at the muzzle for 400 ft/lbs with a 20 grain bullet @ 3000 ft/sec.

The next best energy is the 22 WMR for 324 ft/lbs with a 40 grain bullet @1910 ft/sec.

And then comes the the 17 HMR with 240 ft/lbs of muzzle energy with a 17 grain bullet @ 2550 ft/sec.

I love the 17 HMR but don't recommend it for hogs.
The 22 WMR adds almost 100 ft/lbs to the 17 HMR and the heavier bullet seems to out perform the Super Mag on hogs using the 20 grain bullet.

I am currently working on a 22 WMR with a custom 24" barrel that should get everything out of the cartridge. we will see when it is finished.

J E CUSTOM
Why not use the 25 grain 17 wen. I have the gun and have shot quite a few coyotes with it. By the way it's up for sale. My wife bought me a Howa 204 Ruger with a 10 round mag. So I'm going to that. Pm me if you interested.

I have a 357 air gun that would easily kill those pigs. Shoot at about 1000 FPS using 158 grain lead hollow point. It's a RWS can't remember the exact maker that produce them for them.

Man i feel your pain. The rules at wma's here in georgia are the same. It is a bummer to be given this choice considering how dangerous large hogs can be. You can bet if the game dept goes after a rogue hog that it will not be with a 22. Sounds like the savage slug gun would be your best option. Game dept's use slug guns against large bears, so it will more than adequate for large boars.

When hunting on WMA, you can only use the caliber allowed for the current hunting season. So if you are hunting after deer season is over you are limited to the small game calibers of .22lr, .22 wmg or .17....

Or a shotgun with fine shot.

That is correct. I want the best caliber I can for game but still be legal. I have no worries about if the 22 mag will work. I was more or less wondering if the .17 HMR would be better since it is a faster bullet. With speed a pine needle can be driven into a piece of wood. Was wondering if the speed of the .17 would make up any difference in the lack of size and mass. I agree up close Say within 50 yards the .22 mag would be better but beyond that according to ballistics the .17 HMR has more Velocity so it would hit harder. I plan to make head shots with whatever I use during small game season. Between the eyes or behind the ear. If I had private land to hunt this wouldn't be a question since you can use whatever caliber you want on private land. I guess their thought are only WMA hunter will be the ones tempted to poach a deer during small game season. Goes back to integrity and honesty.

When hunting on WMA, you can only use the caliber allowed for the current hunting season. So if you are hunting after deer season is over you are limited to the small game calibers of .22lr, .22 wmg or .17....

Or a shotgun with fine shot.

That is correct. I want the best caliber I can for game but still be legal. I have no worries about if the 22 mag will work. I was more or less wondering if the .17 HMR would be better since it is a faster bullet. With speed a pine needle can be driven into a piece of wood. Was wondering if the speed of the .17 would make up any difference in the lack of size and mass. I agree up close Say within 50 yards the .22 mag would be better but beyond that according to ballistics the .17 HMR has more Velocity so it would hit harder. I plan to make head shots with whatever I use during small game season. Between the eyes or behind the ear. If I had private land to hunt this wouldn't be a question since you can use whatever caliber you want on private land. I guess their thought are only WMA hunter will be the ones tempted to poach a deer during small game season. Goes back to integrity and honesty.
Were air. Rifles .Prohibited? There are big bore versions and they would definitely be up to the task.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.