long range rig out of Savage action

robbor

Has anyone built a long range barrel blocked gun out of a non accurized action? I was thinking I might me able to build on on the cheap. I would build it with the largest barrel possible like 1.2" and a 30"+ long.

I haven't myself but have seen Tim Lambert's record setting Savage built with a barrel block and I think a 30" barrel, not sure if the action was accurized. It's a 7 WSM and he shot a 5 shot group at a mile measuring around 10.9", he shot down here in Tucson last year and that rifle is quite the shooter, along with Tim behind the trigger.
Wayne

[ 11-27-2004: Message edited by: Wayne McD ]

robbor,
actually, I prefer the Savage over the Remington.But if you are going that far I would definately true up the action.
Here are some pix of one I built for myself and could not be more pleased.It is chambered in 7MM WSM with a 1 in 9 twist 30" Krieger. Also I see no reason to go with 1-1/2" barrel unless you want the extra weight.
My barrel is 1-1/4" for 10" and then straight taper to .950 and the entire gun weighs right on 20lbs.Just made and put on a muzzle break today and recoil is about like a .223

The two groups were shot at 700 yds. with 70grs. of retumbo with a hornady 162 AMAX cronied at 3155 fps.
the four shot group was fired second after moving point of imact.

[ 11-27-2004: Message edited by: 308 nate ]

Hey 308 Nate, thanks for the pics, I wound not have extected #20 but it does all add up fast. I have never seen a barrel block exactly like that one, any idea what it weighs? I am shure alot of the weight is from the wood stock though.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.