long range rifle

bubba41

hi i'm new to this forum. but i'm looking to have a lr rifle made and thought this would be the best place. to ask for some imput gun. it will be for long range shooting . i reload i would like to build a 338 edge i just don't know much about barrels etc!!!!!

Last edited:
Go ahead and edit your first post include things like what the rifle will be used for what you hope the rifle is capable of etc.

Do you reload?

Lots of great guys here with lots of experience blowing money so I look forward to a more elaborate question from you.

Jon

i'm .actually looking to do this on the cheap if possible
What's the purpose of having one built "on the cheap"?

There are some pretty cost effective factory rifles available that make excellent long range shooters.

You could even purchase a Savage (new or used) and rebarrel it to 338 Edge yourself on a pretty tight budget.

Here's an example:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/savage-12-f-class-rebarrel-67041/

If you're going to have one built, then you need to let the smith do it up right. That's not to say that it needs to be over the top. Kevin Cram's work and his prices look pretty good.

Either way, don't forget to budget for all of the accessories that go along with a long range hunting system.

Good luck!
richard

What's the purpose of having one built "on the cheap"?

There are some pretty cost effective factory rifles available that make excellent long range shooters.

+1,

Factory rifles are the cheapest way to go. Remington Sendaro is another that can get the job done. You could get it in 300RUM and rebarrel to an Edge later on.

If you go full custom build, you will spend some bucks, no matter who does the work (if they are reputable anyway).

Even just buying a remington action is at least $400, a barrel is at least $300, stock, bedding, floor metal, scope base, trigger, action blueprint, gunsmiths time...??? At least 2.5, maybe 3 times the cost of a factory rifle when it's all said and done.

It's not polite nor beneficial IMO to ask a gunsmith to do sub-standard or cheap work. We generally get what we pay for, and the top tier smiths take alot of pride in what they do.

where can you buy actions and regarding scope mounts 20 moa one piece ???

Chad (LongRiflesInc.) ordered my rem 700 action from Brownells. The only other option I could find at the time was to by a cheap factory rifle just for the action. I didn't want a used one, and didn't want to wait for a custom action on this particular gun.

Nightforce makes 20 moa bases, and I am sure there are plenty of others out there too, I just don't know who they are at the moment. I believe Chad even makes them, but don't quote me on that.

I'm going throw in on this one. Instead of a Savage (which I love and use regularly), go for a Stevens long action. Buy a heavy recoil lug, and a McGowen Barrel 1:10 twist prechambered and reamed for 338 Edge. Go to Stockade stocks, or Stocky's stocks and buy the blind magazine stock for a LA Savage rifle. For right around $800 you can have a semi custom rifle. You'll also need to purchase a magnum bolt face, unless you get a Stevens with the mag bolt face already.

You'll then need to buy yourself a muzzle break of your choice. The Pain Killer by Kirby Allen is a very effective break, and the Muscle Break that is sold on this site. Get the factory trigger adjusted or buy an aftermarket trigger that fit non-accu trigger Savage rifles.

Tank

[Nightforce makes 20 moa bases, and I am sure there are plenty of others out there too, I just don't know who they are at the moment. I believe Chad even makes them, but don't quote me on that.[/QUOTE]

Chad does in fact make 20moa bases in his shop (i've seen a couple). I've had Chad do some work for me & I can say his skills are the best i've EVER SEEN. He's also one of the most stand-up guys you will ever meet. Do yourself a favor & give him a call.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.