LONG RANGE RIFLE

I would go with the Sako. I keep reading how the Browning rifles dont shoot accurately and how the company also doesn't guarantee MOA shooting in their rifles so they dont do anything about them. Again this is just what I've read multiple times and for the money, there are better options out there.

I would stay away from browning personally. My buddy has one and it WILL NOT shoot better than 1.75" group.
Hard to make improvements with them if they no good from factory..3 local gunsmiths will work with other manufacturers..
2 wouldn't touch..the third said he would be middle man and ship back to have re-barreled and then is a crap shoot
Yeah better not get one because a buddy's doesn't shoot!

Hi guys
i have already decided on caliber which is 7mm mag. i'm undecided on rifle. i am thinking about the Browning® X-Bolt Max Long Range Hunter Bolt Action Rifle OR SAKO a7 roughtech range. Any advise would be appreciated. i handload bullets so i'm familar with developing the best load for different guns
thanks
Not sure on guns you have listed but all are should be pretty good. I would advise to pay attention to twist rate and mag length. It's a toss up on factory guns on a twist rate. I'm not sure what the twist rate are for any of the factory guns to be honest but if I recall they are in that range of 1:9 or 1 :9 1/2.
Also look at mag length. Some are shorter than others.

as far as guns for factory I'm a Winchester, Remington Sendaro, or steyr. All are shooter but the details especially bullets weight and clip length are important.

Last edited:
I recently bought a Browning LR HC McMillan X bolt in 6.5 Creed. The rifle is bone stock except for the Timney trigger I dropped in.
It is without a doubt the most accurate factory rifle that I have ever owned. Several different bullets will shoot well under .5moa at 400yds.

Just sayin'

Mallardhammer.
Was just giving my own experiences with the rifle mentioned. I'm glad you have had good experiences. But I have not. Tried with multiple factory and hand loads myself as well as a professional bench rest shooter attempted without luck.

Recommend A Remington as they are like a chevy350..every backwoods gunsmith knows how to make them shoot if they dont from the factory....
OP was asking opions....giving my experiences..
Sorry you don't appreciate them but they are what they are

A friend of ours bought a Browning Hells Canyon in 30/06,,, the only thing he changed was the trigger spring...

It sure shoots nice,,, he got 2 Hogs with it,,, one was a trophy at 378 lbs...

235 or 265 yards if I recall,,, yha,,, I wouldn't buy one either since I heard """roumers""" from a buddies friend of a friend that his uncles cousin's brother inlaw's nephew's best friend owned one and it wouldn't shoot 1/4"MOA at a 100 yards... Ha

Find the rifle that fits you good and get at it,,, life just that simple...

Cheers from the North

So for the my cousin's cousins , buddy comments.
Here is a pic of one of the targets from a day at the range....no adjustments to zero were made.
These were attempts to try to find the tightest group with powder charge /seating depth...
And this is the best it would do.

First shot on left is cold bore, right 2 are warm barrel..so again my first hand experience, take it for what its worth

Attachments

• 137103.jpeg
    137103.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 317
Mallardhammer.
Was just giving my own experiences with the rifle mentioned. I'm glad you have had good experiences. But I have not. Tried with multiple factory and hand loads myself as well as a professional bench rest shooter attempted without luck.

Recommend A Remington as they are like a chevy350..every backwoods gunsmith knows how to make them shoot if they dont from the factory....
OP was asking opions....giving my experiences..
Sorry you don't appreciate them but they are what they are
No I came off wrong. I'll note that I'm a Remington guy but own an xbolt hc and all generations of Abolt, I'm a huge admirer of superposed and Citori shotguns. Browning is an outstanding manufacturer of firearms. has been through the ages. Bad barrels happen, but I would recommend this rifle based on my experiences.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.