Long Range Rifle Shooting on a budget ...

I had a ' Vortex Crossfire II - 6-24 x50 ' Scope on one of my other Rifles that I mounted on my new .308 Win. ' Long Range ' Rifle project.
So you might have to add in for Scope Rings & Base if necessary.
rfl_cf2_3-9x40_fr-t-s~2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a ' Vortex Crossfire II - 6-24 x50 ' Scope on one of my other Rifles that I mounted on my new .308 Win. ' Long Range ' Rifle project.
So you might have to add in for Scope Rings & Base if necessary.
View attachment 122046
Any vortex is tough to beat - if their crossfire isn't tracking, send it back and they will fix it or send you a new one.

There's a wide variety of Optics to choose from , when you're on a budget pay attention to the basics and like the gentleman before said you can get a better deal with the ones that don't have all the bells and whistles that you won't need right now.

Something for everyone .... I always pick one of my favorites, then I put it on a wish list …

It doesn't cost anything to window shop ...

Last edited:
Yes,,, I started of on a frugal budget package at under $1000 Cnd funds,,, that would be $750 Usd funds.

A used 30/06, and a clear glass Nikon optic worth the same amount as the rifle,,, it was my first 1700 meter rig.

The Remmy LR Heavy barrel with the 14 power zoom showed signs of good potential. It wasn't long after that when I jumped into the $5000 category.

All custom built from the ground up,,, this rifle is almost boring to shoot. Ha ... I call it the land canon.

I still use my first rig today,,, its not the long distance game getter,,, but it is a hole puncher on paper... I'd change out the optic on it,,, but why change something thats working.

The built in range compensator or dial up is spot on. 4 years running as it get gets ready for dialing test 17 if I recall.

Track up to down with left to right,,, this is always a on going thing in my shooting sports,,, if the optic doesn't track back ,,, I goes to the repair shop for a work over.

I might be a dude with only a few rifles,,, but what I lack in fire power,,, I make up for in optic len'es. Ha.

You folks are lucky down yand'er,,, just imagine your budget at 1/3 to 1/2 off like our budget up here in the North. It doesn't take long to drop $3600 to $5500 on optics up here,,, that's out of many shooters budget you know.

The package ones builds is best suited to what is affordable and with in a person own budget.

I do ok with what works for me,,, I've seen many a shooters out of our 1600 members with frugal units shoot some pretty good groups over the years.

We all help one another get up to speed,,, from the old worn out rifles to optics and shooting aids to get onto paper,,, the trick for us is not only help them get there,,, but remain there from that day on,,, hopefully they pass this along in their shooting sports.

My claim to fame is nothing with out the help of other skilled shooters that got me where I am today.

A Jeathrow Bowdean shooter when I started my program 4 years ago,,, hopefully I'm the Granny Clampett shooter these days.

Don't underestimate the old faded rusty barrel chipped wood stock with peep hole sight beside you at the shooting range.

The old timer that is handling his unit might just school you that day.

Let's not forget that there are some old units out there that can perform quite well in the hands of those that can shot them. LOL

It's almost like watching magic unfold before ones own eyes.

Not everyone out there has thousands of dollars to spend on getting themselves a good Long Range Shooting Rifle Setup.
Here are some suggestions :
1. Have an idea of how much you can afford to spend on your initial setup ... Rifle, Scope , Ammunition, a rest, bags or bi-pod to start with, you can always add to it as you go.
Don't spend more for your scope than you will for your Rifle . You can always upgrade your scope later.
2. Choose a Range that you can reasonably achieve at first then move out as you get better.
3. Choose a Caliber that will suit your needs.
4. Compare prices, warranties and available accessories from the different Rifle Companies.
5. When choosing a Rifle compare the features that you get for the price your paying.
6. When you're looking at Rifles stay in your price range, . some of the more affordable Rifles out there are made by very reputable Firearms Companies that have been around for a while ... Remington, .Ruger and Savage to name a few.
7. Long Range Shooting should be challenging and fun. Don't try to base your experience on what someone else says they can do ... enjoy reaching your own goals.
One is definitely not correct. Some very good advice I was given many years ago was "Be willing to spend at least as much on your glass as you are on your rifle".

Cheap glass on the best of rifles still won't produce good results and you end up buying sometimes three or four cheep scopes for the same rifle before biting the bullet and buying decent glass. That's a whole lot of money to throw away before getting where you need to be in the first place.

I'd say that advice still holds true today even up to the 2,000-3000.00 price range.

I'm disagreeing! I own 3 of the 5 scopes in post 33 and they have helped my shooting
WAY more than any rifle I have bought! The step up is like night and day!
I would not pick them in the order as in the picture but the top 3 would still be there but in another order! I would go NF..K..V..

However, the HS-T does have the glass of a $1,000 scope....... Same glass, body, and turrets as the PST. :cool:

Only thing it doesn't have is FFP and illuminated reticle. Which is not worth the additional $350 difference, IMO.
That would basically true for the gen 1 pst. I have a gen 1 4-16x50 and my father has a hs-t 4-16x44. My gen 1 pst has ever so slightly better glass but not enough to talk about. Basically the same. I picked up a gen 2 pst 5-25x50 and theres no comparison between it and the gen 1 pst/hs-t. Gen 2 is much clearer and seems to gather light better. I can say after owning that gen 2 I'll never own a scope under that and my father wants to upgrade to the gen 2 as well. Excellent scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.