Long Range Rifle- possible custom build

Can someone explain to me the benefit of running a custom 300 win mag chamber when you can run a 300 PRC factory, SAAMI chamber and achieve the same thing..? Genuine question, I don't see the upside unless you already have tons of brass and components kicking around.
I don't think there's any benefit, except for maybe the availability of off-the-shelf ammo. I have both cartridges and I still prefer the 300 win mag, especially with Peterson long Brass.

That's why I looked at the 300 prc. Benefits I see if the PRC is SAAMI chamber. No custom work. I have no components for the 300 win mag. 300 prc all come factory with 3.7 opening I believe.
The 300 Win Mag is SAMMI. All he needs to do is throat it longer....same SAMMI spec everything except the freebore.
Another plus is that most if not all brands of dies will rock and roll with the 300 WM.
From my reading... More issues with all of the PRCs of any brass and dies.
Yeah, factory "in a pinch" ammo will be jumping a good bit...but I'd be willing to bet it's minute of deer (in a pinch).

But, each to his own. I understand the quest to always better the existing caliber but I see no need to toss the 300 WM for all intents and purposes.

I seen that one in the classifieds. Awesome Rifle wish it had a 60degree bolt throw. I've been watching for awhile and a lot of really nice rifles for sale just don't see many with a Terminus action/ or other short bolt throws
My semi-custom (throated) 300 WM is a rebarreled Rem 700 with high end barrel that shoots better than I do and can be carried all day.
I never noticed the horrible 90* bolt throw during the adrenalin rush while shanking a second round in there for possible follow-up shot.

The 300 PRC is the easy button.

It is what all handloaders do with custom 300 WM reamers, Wyatts cut receivers for long boxes, loading long heavy bullets. I do not have one, but do/have done all the above on different rifles.

If getting your action cut or buying, get it for the 4" Wyatts, not the 3.85".

That said...300 RUM...cause once you have RUM you won't go back to PRC.

A 30 magnum is in my future as well. I am always contrary enough not to bandwagon anything. For example, I'm building a 270AI now. That's because I have loaded ammo that will fireform, brass, powder, projectiles, and I like to tinker. I think the PRC's are cleaning house. I would go with 30PRC if I was starting fresh.

Best of luck
HW

I've been going through the 30 selection process for a new build as well. I thought about the 28N, but already have a couple of .284 rifles. The 30N kind of struck a chord with me. I really just got tired of comparing the pros and cons of the 30 magnums and bought a few boxes of ADG 30N brass to get the ball rolling. Good luck with your journey.

With that said... My buddy shoots a 300 PRC and hammers the game it hits with factory 212 ELDx.

Best of luck with that build!

There are good dudes on here that shoot straight with good information and are willing to help out with your decision making.

There's no magic caliber. I think the 300 PRC is a great do it all if you want to go long and be able to just buy factory ammo. If you are building a custom and reloading it's no better than whatever other magnum .30 you want pushing bullets. More than anything, if you want to be able to kill from afar you need to be able to shoot it a lot for practice. If you don't want to carry a 10-11 lb rifle where you hunt then something like a 7 RM or 7PRC would be much less punishing in a lighter rifle. If you can't put the fist shot on an 8" gong it's out of range for you so finding that balance between weight of rifle and recoil that you can control is pretty key. Some people can make that happen regardless of recoil, if that's you then go big and light!!!

I would think you would want to look at 280 ai, 7 Rem Mag(fast twist/long throat), 7 PRC, 28 Sherman Mag, 300 Sherman or 300 PRC.

Given your selection and desire for 30 cal, 300 PRC looks like a good choice. At an 800 yd max range, I'm not sure you need all that power.

Since you hand load and are building a custom rifle go 30 Nosler and throat it for 225 eldms or what ever bullet you want to shoot.
The prc is plagued with Clicker issues from saami tight chamber specs, it can be fixed but the nosler is a better cartridge
2nd this.

Reloading and doing a custom rifle, easy choice in my opinion.