Long range rifle/ elk gun

Yes, I dont have mine handy right now, mines a packer, think it is 26'' finished w/brake

A .458 Winchester Magnum should work well for you. If you got bored on a slow hunt day, you could blow down some trees for lumber

*Don't count the odds, count the bodies..

Last edited:
The consensus seems to be that the 300 RUM is a great starter, also sustained use, for a lot shooters but the 338 flavors outperform in many ways burning nearly the same powder amounts and delivering the same recoil.

I would not and could not buy the 7mm RUM or 300 RUM, or similar, after hearing how different the 338s are in similar cases. Nothing wrong with those rounds but it does sound incredible as to how different in performance the 338 really steps up.

Yes, I dont have mine handy right now, mines a packer, think it is 26'' finished w/brake

Was it built in MT? If so would give me the smith phone # ? I have a 7 STW i would like to have maid into a 338 NM. What lench barrel and twrist did you get ? What does it weigh ? Thanks for your time. Joe

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.