Long range rifle/ elk gun

270VARMINT

I know I have more than likely opened Pandora's box here, but here I go anyway.
I am looking at going Elk hunting this year with my dad and will need a rifle for this task However I am going to use this need for a larger rifle as a excuse to purchase a long range shooting rifle as a well. I have read quite a few articles and have narrowed it down to a 300 RUM I think!? I really enjoy shooting long range (1,000 yards or more?). This gun will actually be more of a long range shooter to me than a Elk rifle so weight is of no concern at this time. Calibers that have been in the question/interest for me area as follows (6.5x284 300wsm 338 edge) understand if the edge is the decision it will start life as a 300 RUM for a while then upgrade later. I stress I love long range shooting so WEIGHT is not a concern!!
If you have a opinion as to a caliber/rifle please explain as to why you feel it is better than others so as I get a better comparison comparison. O and I do prefer to reload simply for cost reasons and well fun!
Thanks in advance for all your input!

I know I have more than likely opened Pandora's box here, but here I go anyway.
I am looking at going Elk hunting this year with my dad and will need a rifle for this task However I am going to use this need for a larger rifle as a excuse to purchase a long range shooting rifle as a well. I have read quite a few articles and have narrowed it down to a 300 RUM I think!? I really enjoy shooting long range (1,000 yards or more?). This gun will actually be more of a long range shooter to me than a Elk rifle so weight is of no concern at this time. Calibers that have been in the question/interest for me area as follows (6.5x284 300wsm 338 edge) understand if the edge is the decision it will start life as a 300 RUM for a while then upgrade later. I stress I love long range shooting so WEIGHT is not a concern!!
If you have a opinion as to a caliber/rifle please explain as to why you feel it is better than others so as I get a better comparison comparison. O and I do prefer to reload simply for cost reasons and well fun!
Thanks in advance for all your input!

IMHO, the only way I would 'start' with a 300RUM and 'upgrade' to the 338 Edge is if I were going to have the 300RUM bore re-drilled and cut to 338. Otherwise, just go with the 338RUM or Edge. Why upgrade?

Speaking of 338's............................Just throwin things out to cloud the water....LoL

338 Lapua or 338 AX are also options. Factory 338 Lapua can be fired in either. The AX becomes an Improved Lapua after fireing however, and would require custom built dies from that point on. But it's supposedly capable of approx 150'/sec. faster than the 338 EDGE with 300 SMK bullet.

7mmSTW with some 160gr AccuBonds will do the job just fine.

If you want massive long range power get a .30-378 Weatherby Mag or a .338-378 Weatherby Mag.

Been wanting to get another AccuMark in .30-378 Weatherby Mag for a while now.

I've shot a herd of elk over the years,w 7mm,340 WM, now its the 338 NM's turn

I once knew a girl named pandora...I never did get to see her box though. All joking aside, a 338rum or bigger is tough to beat for elk sized critters, that far away.

My vote is for a 7mm STW. The ballistic chart for my 160 Accubonds show that it has more than enough energy to take elk/deer to over 700 yards. The guys on the Best of the West shoot 180 gr VLD's out of a 7mm mag. They have taken bear at close to 1000 yards.

My father has a .300 Mag that is a great shooter also. We shoot Remington 180gr at the 300 yard range with good results, under 3 inches for a stock hunting rifle.

I have yet to purchase or shoot a .338. I am really wanting one, have to buy a house first.

Last edited:
I would say just go with the edge since you like long range shooting you'll get way better barrel life than a 300 rum and you'd have more knockdown which Would be better for elk.. I would have said go with a 338 ax but you wouldent receive it on time for next years hunt. Just my opinion

I would recommend a .338 RUM or Lapua. Factory guns and ammo available. You can find a Senduro in the .338 RUM used usually. That being said the .300 RUM is a great hard hitter and the 7 STW or RUM aint that far behind. PERSONAL opinion (many think otherwise and I dont say there wrong), I think that the 6.5's are a little lean for LONG RANGE ELK but for deer and targets there hard to beat. Theres nothing wrong with the plain jane .300 WIN as well. But if you want the best, the .338's are supreme.

I would have said go with a 338 ax but you wouldent receive it on time for next years hunt. Just my opinion

You are most likely correct. Kirby's wait time (last I heard) is 14-18 months. If you want him to build the gun (may as well, he designed the cartridge and does great work from what I've seen so far) it will take a while.

Custom dies also take some time, and IMO it's better to have the gun and fireformed cases before you try and get the dies made. That way, they are more likely to accurately match your chamber.

However, going with a guy like Kirby Allen, he may already have the finished dimensions on file with someone and perhaps the wait on dies wouldn't be long...........question for him.

I dont know if youve looked into the 7mm made by grey bull precision. Been shooting it lately, sweet! as an outfitter here in NM, works excellent on elk far out to 1400 yds.

Plenty of nice customs, show up on this classified,saves money and time frame, seen many I would like to havegun)

For the $$$ Quarter Minute Magnums can build you 7mm, .338 LM, or .300RUM, or whatever you want. All their guns will shoot a 1" group at 400 yds. They are the best value around. Of course of you really want to trick one out they will do that too. All their guns are pre-broken in, and come with load development already complete. I think for a 7mm your looking around $2850.00. All their guns will shoot better than most that cost almost 2x. These guys are not in it for the $, accuracy is just his passion. He isn't getting rich off building guns...

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.