Long range rifle build.

I prefer the 7mm over the 243/6mm. Just started loading 100gr. HP in my custom 7mm Rem Mag, and they group really well, around .75" at 100yd. Hopefully, I can shrink them even further, but for now this will handle coyotes out to 400yd pretty easily. I have a 243 and have found that the 7mm seems to buck the wind better out here on the prairies of South Dakota.

Last year I built myself a .260 Remington on a Mauser 98 action. Used a McGowan heavy 26 in. barrel. Had it installed by a local gunsmith. Got a stock form Richard's, had to do some inletting, finished it, and glass bedded the barreled action myself (all of this a first for me). Before I bedded the rifle, I was able to get 7/8 in 5 round groups @ 200 yards. This is going to be my main P-dog rifle, and maybe some Minnesota whitetail now and then.

I've been going over my option, andhave kin of re-thought my plan

My .223 is getting som miles on it, barrel wise. The action and stock are in great shape. My hopes are to get a 700 SPS varmint in the next couple weeks, and save up to build on the Howa.

Barrel it either a 7mm WSM or 7mm SAUM.
replace the stock trigger

I'll have to see availabilty on parts for the Howa action for those calibers, expecially the bolt face and magazine follower.

It will probably go along on the prairie dog hunts, but not see too much action.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts