Long range ram hunt with Remington R25 .308

If you're asking me, what I consider to be large is the 500lbs and up. We've killed some in this area exceeding 900lbs over the years.

I guess my tiny 277 will stay home on my next Texas trip and I will bring the .458 american with 405 gr Barnes X LOL

jpitch33 - semi auto is the limitation. Have you tried 150 -160 gr for groups?

Well, since it is a semi auto .308, I wouldn't have an issue with putting more rounds into the boar or ram. I wish the Gamekings would have shot better. My barrel is a 1 in 10, so shouldn't it have stabilized that 180 gr bullet? How do I get samples of different bullets without buying a whole box? I have 168 amax's and 180 game kings that are pretty useless now. Lol I'm not sure about the sizes of the animals yet. I want to try those Berger vld's, but i will probably have oal issues won't I?
You'll do better with the 165's in the .308. You really don't have the velocity to take advantage of the higher bc's of the heavier bullets.

Hornady Interbond, Interlock, and Swift Scirocco's would be where I'd encourage you to go.

I guess my tiny 277 will stay home on my next Texas trip and I will bring the .458 american with 405 gr Barnes X LOL

jpitch33 - semi auto is the limitation. Have you tried 150 -160 gr for groups?
Naa I've killed a boat load of 400lbs and smaller hogs with the 6.8 SPC and even .204 Ruger.

Like most things it's more about bullet placement than caliber.

I will say though that the 45/70 and 450 Marlin are the ideal weapons for the big guys at shorter ranges.

Attachments

• 204boar.jpg
    204boar.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 54
  • DSCF0782.jpg
    DSCF0782.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 42
This is just a little cross breed. 277 heart/lung shot. so pink lung sticking out the hole. Dead on the spot. Blew her over and bled out. the pig was kind of angled so the entrance is farther forward on the input side. There was two of them and they never would quite get lined up for the two for one shot! so sunburned from a day on the air boat.

DSCN0335.jpg

Budlight, no i havent tried the lighter bullets for groups. Thats not a bad idea though, the range ive been dealing with so far are the 168's and 180's. Ill have to try some lighter ones and see what happens.

Wildrose, nice hogs! I completely agree with that statement. Its definitely more about shot placement than the bullet itself. You can keep those hog pics coming btw. Haha

Outlaw, if these bullets dont work out, i may end up having to use the SMK. I know my rifle LOVES them.

Ive got a few bullets in mind thanks to you guys. Ill order a good bit of samples and see what happens.

This is just a little cross breed. 277 heart/lung shot. so pink lung sticking out the hole. Dead on the spot. Blew her over and bled out. the pig was kind of angled so the entrance is farther forward on the input side. There was two of them and they never would quite get lined up for the two for one shot! so sunburned from a day on the air boat.
Little 200lbs class hogs like that don't pose much of a challenge with any caliber.

It's the big boars with thic cartilage shields that run from behind the shoulders around to the chest that become problematic.

I'll say though I've seen a great many hit exactly right behind the shoulder run a quarter mile or more and when we opened them up their entire chest cavity was just a gelatinous mix of blood and exploded organs.

The big guys are amazingly tough to DRT without a direct interruption of the CNS.

I know what you are saying. I've done my share of single shots to the head. I just wanted to see what a 150 would do.

Little 200lbs class hogs like that don't pose much of a challenge with any caliber.

It's the big boars with thic cartilage shields that run from behind the shoulders around to the chest that become problematic.

I'll say though I've seen a great many hit exactly right behind the shoulder run a quarter mile or more and when we opened them up their entire chest cavity was just a gelatinous mix of blood and exploded organs.

The big guys are amazingly tough to DRT without a direct interruption of the CNS.

Out of pure curiousity (i've never killed a hog of any size). How thick does that shield get with the big'uns? 500+lbs.

Out of pure curiousity (i've never killed a hog of any size). How thick does that shield get with the big'uns? 500+lbs.
Easily 3" and up to 5" on the really big hogs.

That's why taxidermists just hate doing the really big one's. Every bit of that has to be scraped out as part of cleaning up the cape and it is a real bitch to do.

One of our local TD's fell in love with me when I walked in with a carpeter's power planer (hand held) and took one down in about 15 minutes he'd been working on for days and still not making a lot of headway.

I've found .30cal and .243's and all kinds of smaller rounds buried in the shield that never made it into the meat.

I know what you are saying. I've done my share of single shots to the head. I just wanted to see what a 150 would do.
Put it behind the shoulder and it'll do just fine. Put it in the neck 2" below the ear, mid point of the neck and it'll drop them dirt dead instantly.

Into the sheild on anything over 500lbs and you're likely to have a very dangerous wounded hog on your hands depending on the range/remaining energy.

Easily 3" and up to 5" on the really big hogs.

That's why taxidermists just hate doing the really big one's. Every bit of that has to be scraped out as part of cleaning up the cape and it is a real bitch to do.

One of our local TD's fell in love with me when I walked in with a carpeter's power planer (hand held) and took one down in about 15 minutes he'd been working on for days and still not making a lot of headway.

I've found .30cal and .243's and all kinds of smaller rounds buried in the shield that never made it into the meat.

That is pretty impressive! Holy bullet traps! I want one! :D

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.