Long range Pistol question

Bigeclipse

Ok so I am not sure this forum deals with shooting long range pistols...which to me is about 100 yards, but I figure there are people on here who shoot pistols long range. I went to our local shop and he currently has two used 44 mags...one is a super red hawk and the other is a red hawk. Both excellent condition. The redhawk is actually 75 dollars more, I asked why and they said ruger has no plan on making new ones at the moment so the price goes up. Either way I dont care. What I care about is which is the better pistol. Now better means different things to people. From what I have read, the super hawk is pretty much supior in most ways...i.e. the trigger is smoother, the frame is a bit beafier so MAY be able to handle even harsher loads than the regular redhawk, and the scope mounts are on the frame as opposed to the barrel(not exactly sure why this might matter or not). Now the one thing I think the regular redhawk has over the super redhawk is looks...to me the redhawk looks great. I really love smith and wessons but even used ones around here are too much and I do like the ability to shoot stouter loads in these redhawks, but seriously...the regular redhawk looks great to me but the super redhawk kind of looks funny to me and I am not sure if i can get over it haha but ultimately, I would want the better shooting pistol. If they both would shoot "about" the same then I would probably opt for the redhawk, but if the super redhawk really is that much better maybe id go for that. Suggestions/thoughts?

also, the chance of this revolver carrying a scope is remote...I know most people say if you are going to put a scope on it, then buy the super redhawk, but I dont think I will, the gun is already heavy enough as is and if I plan on shooting past 75 yards, I will most likely bring a rifle.

I own both a Super Redhawk in 44 mag. a Redhawk in 41 mag., and a quite rare Redhawk in .357 mag.

Over all my Super in 44 does shoot a little better than the Redhawk's but without a scope on them I don't think you could tell the difference. The Super has a built in scope mount and mine has a longer barrel. Other than that I don't think it is a better gun. If I had to keep only one I would keep the 41 Redhawk because as you say it does look better. I don't think the trigger are different and I have shot heavy loads in all three guns and they are built extra strong.

I own both a Super Redhawk in 44 mag. a Redhawk in 41 mag., and a quite rare Redhawk in .357 mag.

Over all my Super in 44 does shoot a little better than the Redhawk's but without a scope on them I don't think you could tell the difference. The Super has a built in scope mount and mine has a longer barrel. Other than that I don't think it is a better gun. If I had to keep only one I would keep the 41 Redhawk because as you say it does look better. I don't think the trigger are different and I have shot heavy loads in all three guns and they are built extra strong.

they actually have a redhawk in 41 cal as well. I feel both are over priced at 650 but that's how it is in new york. the 41 cal is in better condition. I'd give the 41. cal a 92-95% for condition while the 44mag only gets a 87-90...has a few more light scratches. I'd pay 650 for the 44 if it was in better condition.

I believe that if the 41Mag had come on the revolver scene first the 44Mag would have died off. I have shot 2 deer with the 41 one at 40 yds and the other at 100 yds with my scoped Ruger Blackhawk single action. I had another handloader/hunter tell me with my 41 I didn't need a rifle one day when we were doing some plinking, me with the 41 and him with his Magnum Research BFR in 45/70Gov. This statement is a little bit of an exaggeration but not too much. I handload and only shoot full power hunting loads through this revolver. If you plan on shooting off the shelf factory loaded ammo the 44Mag is the way to go. Good 41Mag factory ammo is available but not as readily as 44.

BTW, I think any Ruger revolver is SOB (slightly over built) but all I have are the Ruger single actions. The S&W revolvers IMO are slightly more accurate than the Rugers in every comparison I have witnessed but they are nowhere near as hell for strong.

if all that you plan on shooting threw this pistol is factory ammo then purchase the pistol of your choice. if you intend to handload then purchase the super redhawk. the super has a longer cylinder that will in able you to load to the full potential the 300gr bullets that are available to the handloader. I shoot the super redhawk and a t/c contender with a 14in barrel. both have pistol scopes they shoot nearly the same with the 300gr sierra to 100yds at 200yds the t/c holds a much better group with less drop. however 4 elk 8 deer and several dozen coyotes never new the differance

I believe that if the 41Mag had come on the revolver scene first the 44Mag would have died off. I have shot 2 deer with the 41 one at 40 yds and the other at 100 yds with my scoped Ruger Blackhawk single action. I had another handloader/hunter tell me with my 41 I didn't need a rifle one day when we were doing some plinking, me with the 41 and him with his Magnum Research BFR in 45/70Gov. This statement is a little bit of an exaggeration but not too much. I handload and only shoot full power hunting loads through this revolver. If you plan on shooting off the shelf factory loaded ammo the 44Mag is the way to go. Good 41Mag factory ammo is available but not as readily as 44.

BTW, I think any Ruger revolver is SOB (slightly over built) but all I have are the Ruger single actions. The S&W revolvers IMO are slightly more accurate than the Rugers in every comparison I have witnessed but they are nowhere near as hell for strong.

I was planning on this being a plinking and hunting pistol. I was going to handload 44 special for light recoil plinking fun and handload magnums for hunting. this is also why i was thinking regular redhawk over super redhawk because then i get tbe looks and i wont be using a scope on it anyways. a smaller part of getting it is also to have what was once considered "the most powerful handgun in the world" haha.

if all that you plan on shooting threw this pistol is factory ammo then purchase the pistol of your choice. if you intend to handload then purchase the super redhawk. the super has a longer cylinder that will in able you to load to the full potential the 300gr bullets that are available to the handloader. I shoot the super redhawk and a t/c contender with a 14in barrel. both have pistol scopes they shoot nearly the same with the 300gr sierra to 100yds at 200yds the t/c holds a much better group with less drop. however 4 elk 8 deer and several dozen coyotes never new the differance

see above post

I think $800 for either of these Ruger's is a fair price in any state, not sure why you'd think 650 in NY is overpriced. These are over built works of craftsmanship and there are only so many. They last forever and have utility value for generations to junk. Lots of junk out there for 650 or more in rifles and all firearms. Not these Redhawks and Super Redhawks. The are absolute keepers, never to be sold. If I could keep only 1 firearm of my collection of hunting and target firearms, it would be my 41 mag Ruger Redhawk.

I think $800 for either of these Ruger's is a fair price in any state, not sure why you'd think 650 in NY is overpriced. These are over built works of craftsmanship and there are only so many. They last forever and have utility value for generations to junk. Lots of junk out there for 650 or more in rifles and all firearms. Not these Redhawks and Super Redhawks. The are absolute keepers, never to be sold. If I could keep only 1 firearm of my collection of hunting and target firearms, it would be my 41 mag Ruger Redhawk.

these are used...used prices tend to be 600-700 with decent scopes. ..or at least that is what I have seen on gun broker and what I have heard elsewhere. 850-900 for new super redhawks is typical.

I have owned my Redhawks for years-25 or more. I have shot all with different handloads, most were full bore. Because I handload, the 41 mag is very interesting to me. It was so interesting that when Ruger stopped making them a number of years ago I found a local dealer with a blued version. I could not keep from purchasing it, so I bought it on the spot. I later gave that gun to my son-in-law. I will not tell you what I payed for that gun and my 357 either because it would make you sick in comparison to the prices now.

There is only on problem with the 41 mag.--Factory ammo is hard to come by, and when you do find some it cost much much more than 44 mag ammo.

Here is a picture of my three guns. As you see the 44 and 41 have scopes and I have shot them with scopes for years. I even put a scope on the .357 for a short time. Both the 44 and 41 would shot 6 shots into and inch or less at 25 yards.

Attachments

• Redhawks-1.JPG
    Redhawks-1.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 107
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.