Long range optics

tommyc279

I am having trouble deciding which one of the three scope to choose for my long range project rifle. The three scopes I have it narrowed down to are: Leupold mark 4 4.5-14x40 LR/T Target w/ duplex for 759.99, The Sightron siii 6-24x50 with mildot for 806.99 or the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with EBR-1 MOA for 699.99. The two main things I am looking for are quality clear glass and repeatable, reliable turrets. I would allow other choices but do not wish to spend over 800.00 dollars. Thanks for the help!

I am going with the Viper PST 6-25x50 with the MOA reticle I can't speak for the clarity of it since they haven't come out yet. I have owned both the others you spoke of the optics and tracking on them were very good. My thing is neither of them have reticles that I like for hunting situations. The new Viper has (from what I can tell) a reticle like the np-r1 of the nightforce, which is awesome for hunting just my opinion though.

-Nathan

I am having trouble deciding which one of the three scope to choose for my long range project rifle. The three scopes I have it narrowed down to are: Leupold mark 4 4.5-14x40 LR/T Target w/ duplex for 759.99, The Sightron siii 6-24x50 with mildot for 806.99 or the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 with EBR-1 MOA for 699.99. The two main things I am looking for are quality clear glass and repeatable, reliable turrets. I would allow other choices but do not wish to spend over 800.00 dollars. Thanks for the help!

You can get the viper PST EBR-1 FFP 6-24X50 ILLUMINATED FOR SAME PRICE. CALL Liberty Optics. The bad thing is can't get it till june.

Seems like a big difference in scope power out of your three choices?

The Clearidge scopes look good until you see that they only have a total of 48 MOA of adjustment. How can you only get 48 MOA out of a 30 mm tube?

I held and looked through one of the new Vortex PST's on Friday and it is sweet! I absolutely loved the turrets and glass looked great.

I just received my new Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMD it is a very clear scope and very vivid colors, turrets are awesome as well and you get 100 MOA of adjustment!! Take that Clearidge. You can find plenty of reviews about the Sightron that compare the glass to Nightforce and better.

Don't spend $800 on the Sightron though, they can be had for less than that. Just looked on Ebay and one store is selling them for $744.00. I got mine off Ebay, brand new in the box never mounted with butler creek flip ups for $650. They also pop up every once and a while in the different forum classifieds for around $650 also.

The Clearidge scopes look good until you see that they only have a total of 48 MOA of adjustment. How can you only get 48 MOA out of a 30 mm tube?

I held and looked through one of the new Vortex PST's on Friday and it is sweet! I absolutely loved the turrets and glass looked great.

I just received my new Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LRMD it is a very clear scope and very vivid colors, turrets are awesome as well and you get 100 MOA of adjustment!! Take that Clearidge. You can find plenty of reviews about the Sightron that compare the glass to Nightforce and better.

Don't spend $800 on the Sightron though, they can be had for less than that. Just looked on Ebay and one store is selling them for $744.00. I got mine off Ebay, brand new in the box never mounted with butler creek flip ups for $650. They also pop up every once and a while in the different forum classifieds for around $650 also.

I was told that they would not be out till june. Where did they get the Vortex PST EBR-1 FFP? Was it a 6-24x50 ?

It was at the Western Hunting Expo in SLC Utah. Vortex had a booth there. They are not available yet. It was the 6-24X. They also had the $2k 35 mm tube Razor there, it was sweet too but I don't know if it was $2k sweet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.