Long Range Newbie Help Please

olsonj85

Hey guys! I just joined this forum and am also just attemping to get into long range shooting. For me long range=500-600 Yards. My plan is to sell my Ruger 22-250 varmit setup with a leupold vx-iii 6.5-20. The only reason I bought it was because I felt it was very mispriced at $650, very lightly used. Of course I had to take it coyote hunting and ding the laminated stalk up some.....

Anyway with the money from that and some extra I would like to get set up into a good setup with a little more pop, and less drift. Total I would like to stay under $1300, if possible. I was thinking of a 308 but after much research I am more confused than I could have imagined. I find the 7mm-08, 284, and 280ai all very interesting. I do have a friend who reloads heavily who will help me with that end of it. Basically a good action barrel set-up i can grow and refine my skills with at my budget. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
What are you planning on shooting? Do you plan on carrying the rifle a lot?

Since you already own it I would consider keeping the scope off your other rifle and sending it to Leupold for turrets if it doesn't have them already. With what you paid for it and the rifle you should come out ahead of selling it and buying another.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.