Long Range Near Auburn Alabama?

Colcalcipherol

All,
I live in Opelika, Al and I am looking for a long range around the house. The longer the better . . . I have heard of some sort of long range competition in the area but is this a place I may be able to go practice? Just getting into the game.

Thanks for your input.

I guess there is a first for everything.....you are from my home town. I graduated from OHS in 1973. I was just back there for a visit at thanksgiving. My brother has several hunting leases and he took me to a few to look around. he knows my penchant for stretching a shot. We sat on a powerline where he had a food plot and i ranged deer @ 670 yds, so there are opportunities there. My advise is to cultivate aquaintences in those areas.

Growing up and hunting whitetails there, i was always able to find places to test the range of a 30-06. Keep looking, and best of luck. AJ

AJ,
I actually moved down here about ten years ago to go to school but I ended up buying a house and, more or less, settling down here. My wife is still in grad school so I will be here for at least another year. By the time I get settled into some good deer leases, shooting lanes, and fishing holes, then it'll be time for us to move on. Murphy's Law . . .

One of his leases is near Marrion , Ala. There is a big swath of Taladega national forest in that area and i know it is legal to hunt/shoot there. there is also the Oakmulge State wildlife management area there. The WMA's in the state are a great way to get hunting opportunities. Check into those. You are within a couple hr drive of 5 or 6 of those. hell anywhere in the state is a couple hr drive. There are lots of places there to get long shots on cultivated soybean fields. I was amazed at the new hunting laws there. You can only kill three bucks a year, but you can kill a doe a day for the length of the season...oct thru feb. AJ

I lived in Scottsboro before I moved to Opelika and we had 35,000 acres of WMA land not to mention the same amount bordering on the Tennesse side. Plenty of soy fields too. I need to get to know some of the local farmers.

Hi AJ

I grew up there and visit regularly. There are places to shoot in the Tuskeegee National Forest but you have to know your way around. There is a 100 yd Range there but is often crowded.
Ft Benning has two ranges over 450 yds. and there are various clubs around that might let you shoot ( you just need to contact them )

Find NRA Near You

may be helpful as well.

I need to reopen this question. Since I have invested well over $10k in long range hardware, the 2000 yard range in Blakely, Ga closed to the public and the 500 yard range at Ft. Benning closed all together. Now I am left with a 3000 yard weapon and a 100 yard range . . .

Any tips???

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.