Long Range Muzzleloader Kill

JD338

I went out tonight for the last hour of daylight to fill a tag with the muzzleloader.
I shoot a 700ML 50 caliber with a Leupold M8 4x scope. My load consist of 100 grs of Triple 7 powder and a Nosler .451 cal 260 gr PT.
I had 3 does come out of the marsh and head up into the apple orchard at 5:00 PM. With a SW wind blowing from the deer to me, the setup was perfect. They were 180 yds away.
At 5:30 PM 5 more does followed the same trail. I had one big doe start feeding on the edge of the orchard. I lasered her with the Swarovski Laser Guide at 167 yds. and set up for the shot. I put the rifle in the Polecat shooting stix and held the cross hairs right on the top of her withers. The trigger broke at 2.5 lbs and the 260 gr PT was sent down range. The SW wind eleminated the smoke cloud so I was able to see her react to the hit through the lungs. She took off on a death run into the hardwoods. I sat back as darkness quickly took over and waited for my buddy to arrive so we could go locate her. She was found about 60 yds away.
The PT performance on this big mature WT doe was excellent at 167 yds, leaving an exit hole about the size of a quarter.

Sorry I can't share a picture, left my camera at home.

JD338

Very nice, JD. As you know, I tried to take a doe at a similar range with my smokepole with not so stellar results. Oh well, no blood no foul!

You need to bring the camera along next time so you can show off your game!

It is so nice to see a meat hunter!!!!!! Someone who wants the meat regardless of sex or rack. I took up Archery this year and the main reason was so that I could take either sex....that's the only way over here....but when I mention that I will take either sex, people genreally say " Why would you kill a MAMMA??? Well because I like venison. It isn't like back east where it is actual population control, I just like meat. And the rifle and ML seasons here are packed with hunter orange, and empty tags. It is just nice to see someone not being "politaclly correct" as Ted Nuggent puts it.

That last one was a compliment by the way. Congrats!!!

Joe Oakes

About two years ago, I set up a T/C Omega specifically for long range work. I topped it with a Leatherwood ML scope, floated the barrel fully, installed aluminum pillars and bedded the action. It took about 200 rounds, but I got the Leatherwood system set up to shoot out to 400yds (though I doubt I'd shoot a deer that far).

Ironically, as soon as I had a 300yd gun I stopped getting the 200-300yd opportunities that had frustrated me.

Then this year they dug the ditch on my primary field and so I moved to a woods edge bordering a field of corn stubble. Opening morning the sun came up, and I saw a couple does. I eyed them but decided to wait, and soon a 6-pt came over a hill and spooked them off. I unfolded the Harris bipod, and lasered the buck at 152 yds. The .25 ACP conversion touched off 110gr of 777 and sent the 200gr Shockwave downrange. The buck turned and ran about 50 yds before lying down, perfect double-lung and exit. An hour later, a doe met the same fate at an easy 75 yds.

The next weekend, I got my longest ML opportunity yet. I was just walking out and a group of does were already in the field. I crawled out where I could shoot, and the laser said 242 yds. The scope is zeroed at 200, so this was the first time I actually had to dial it up. The bullet flew true, entering the base of the neck and crossing the front of both lungs, dropping her on the spot. It turns out I misread the deer's angle and would have liked to hit a few more inches back, but the impact was within 1-2 inches of my intended point of aim.

I'm not one to purposely set up long shots, but studying a lot of the info on here has allowed me to practice so that I'm confident with my ML out to at least 300 yds if the opportunity arises.

Great shooting guys!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Ironically, as soon as I had a 300yd gun I stopped getting the 200-300yd opportunities that had frustrated me.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a similar situation, too many fields to hunt with little to no cover. This leaves me with only long range opportunites.

Last year I "invested" in a smokeless ML. With a lot of practice, out to 500yds, I've become confident to at least 400yds under light wind conditions.

Through last years ML season a good animal didn't present itself. Although this year, with very warm weather, there were two bucks that would enter my field at last light. Although I could see good enough to make a shot just couldn't really tell how big they were just knew they were bucks.

On the last evening of ML season, I decided to kill the biggest body sized one of the two. At 286yds with no wind, the two bucks entered field. Soon there after the smokeless charge sent the 250gr sst at 2880fps to take out both lungs. The buck simply rolled off the hill side. Words cannot describe the awesome sound of the .452 bullet impact at almost 300yds.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f267/distantfoe/181192-R1-07-22A_008-1.jpg

Sad to say the buck was a clean 8 point with very little tine length. He was outside his ears, yet I don't think he would've been much more than a wide short tined 8pt next year.

I learned the "trick" to hitting out to 200 yards with a smokepole. I have a .45 cal disc extreme and I sight it in 5" high @ 100 yards. I hit 3" high @ 50 and am dead on @ about 192. I just hold the scope accordingly.

Thanks guys. Always nice to have some venison in the freezer. I went back out this morning but no shooting.
I did bring the camera this time and took a picture of the set up.
If I knew how to edit, I would mark up the photo. The doe was just in front of the corner apple tree which lasered 169 yds with my Swaro Laser Guide. The doe was lasered at 167 yds when I took the shot. (Just about dead center in the picture near the edge of the hardwoods).
[image]
AppleOrchard1.jpg
[/image]

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts