long range muzzleloader kill

Brien

i killed this in ohio muzzleloader season this past fall at close to 200yds..(didnt have my rangfinder) and im trying to learn how to post pix
tc/encore 209x45 with 195 gr barnes doing 2335 over my chrony
Brien

What bullet, powder, primer combo are you using? Also what rifle and scope?

My longest muzzleloader kill is 230 ranged yards this past season with my savage 10ml-II on a VA. 8 point buck.

this is a tc/encore209x45. it has a 3x9 leupold. i am shooting trip7 ( scaled at 120grs.i think about equivilant of 160grs..i know this doenst look good but it shoots good charged up that hard ...any slower and it wouldnt shoot for me) with a 195gr barnes MZ expander at 2335fps. i hit him quartering away right behind the right front shoulder and it was stuck under the skin on the front of the left front shoulder... he ran better than 100yds to me and died in a ravine under me... if i get a chance i will get a pic of the bullet i recovered and post it...(it is almost fully expanded) that was with a win.209 shotshell primer
Brien

BTM,
Great buck, nice to see that T/C rifle working so well. I just shot two Texas hogs at slightly over 200 yards with the same rifle, then we reshot one and placed three bullets into the center of its chest at 300 yards. Some great new hunting bullets coming for your rifle - checkout the T/C BONDED Shockwaves in 250 grain. Will not blow apart if you happen to get a real close shot, extremely accurate and excellent long range performance. Pass-throughs at 200 and 300 on the piggies we killed on side shots.
Would enjoy seeing a picture of your Barnes bullet, they are also great hunting bullets.

this is 2 bullets i have recovered out of 16 deer in 3 years in 2 states..(WV&OH).. with my encore...the bullet on the left is the bullet I killed the buck with . the one on the right is a bullet i killed a doe with at about 65yds. she was a big garden fat deer. I shot her straight on and found the bullet against the front of her leg bone [image][/image] [image][/image] [image][/image]

BTM

Is the Triple 7 3F or 2F? Not having good luck with 3F and your exact setup?

But now I'm anxious to get back to testing either that again or the black mag powders.

Would much rather shoot the Barnes than the dead centers I'm using. Though they worked perfect on one muley buck at 218 last fall.

And I have the 25 acp primer system. Maybe I should go back to the 209 and try them.

Jeff

i think the pictures were blury when we took them.. sorry about that..i will look at that and see if i can do it better but i just recently learned how to post pics...
that is 2F trip 7 i am using.. one of my buddies is using 3F trip 7 in a stainless rifle like mine and having good results . Brien

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts