Long range muzzle loaders

carolusworld

Does anyone out there have any experience with one of the production long range muzzle loaders( bad bull , swing lock, Dixie gun works)? Had a buck of a lifetime at 300 yards for 45 minutes last night. 175-200 is the max for my night long range. Here in Iowa we see some big ones in our late muzzle loader season, but they are out feeding in big flat fields.

Does anyone out there have any experience with one of the production long range muzzle loaders( bad bull , swing lock, Dixie gun works)? Had a buck of a lifetime at 300 yards for 45 minutes last night. 175-200 is the max for my night long range. Here in Iowa we see some big ones in our late muzzle loader season, but they are out feeding in big flat fields.

If you want a true........ LONG RANGE..... muzzleloader, the Ultimate would be my rifle of choice. However they do not come cheap. They are custom made here in Michigan. Muzzleloader - Long Range Muzzleloader - Custom Muzzleloader: Ultimate Firearms

a piece of history for you all

During the Battle Of The Wilderness in 1865, Union General Sedgwick was shot in the head while riding on a horse at 850 yards with a Whitworth target rifle.
gary

I have a savage MLII-10 that shoots smokeless power just like a centerfire. I can reach out to 300 easily. I've heard of some deer taken at 350. I shot one at 175 and another at 185 without any problems.

No need to spend for a bad bull or any of those others. If I did want a high muzzleloader, I'd buy a NULA.

Johnny

arrowhead sporting goods llc,luke will hook you up,just built one for under a thousand total. remington ml action pacnor barrel, savage breach plug swing loc smooth die.shooting 275 parker .385bc at 2700fps,have shot under one moa to six hundred yards and easy to tune.running a 200 45 ftx at 3000fps.

So what are your thoughts On this? Get a Savage 10ML re barreled to 45 cal and have barrel threaded for a muzzle break...this shouldn't break the bank but should get me to my 300yd goal.

i built off a remington muzzeloader. bought for 150.00 used the action scraped the rest,you can find them around reasonable plus they have a adjustable trigger.arrowhead outfitters "luke" can give info on how to convert your savage centerfires, also other that convert encore 45-70,h&r 45-70 handi rifles, and i thinka few others.nice to have a few options.

go w/ the 45 caliber as stated earlier in smokeless, either the Remington or the Savage and the BH bullets. These guns shoot under 1 MOA and are lethal if you practice and know your bullet drop.

I built 3 of them this fall for guys who were going to Iowa, Savage CF actions, brux barrel and laminate wood a-5 stocks, i'll let you know how they did in about 12 days.

I built this one a couple years ago and have no desire to ever own another muzzleloader. Built on a Savage 110 action with a Pac-Nor 45 caliber barrel. It takes a special breach plug that uses 45acp brass as the ignition source. 300 yards is a chip shot with this thing. My advice is get with Luke at arrowhead and he will get you set up.
The Gun
21a8a05d.jpg

300 yard group
8e1d33be.jpg

Almost forgot to mention here are the prices i paid.
Action 300
barrel 420
stock 150
breach plug 95
Total 965

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts