Long range mule deer rifle

I think Lapua makes 270 Winchester brass, don't they ? I know they don't make 280 Remington, so I've been using Norma brass for that. I have a buddy who makes 270 cases out of 30-06 brass, and he hasn't had any of the problems some guys have mentioned from the slightly shorter neck length.

Lapua does not make 270 or any other 06 case for that matter aside from 30-06. I opted to use their 30-06 necked down to 6.5 and they are fantastic. I can get more fps than any other manufacturer I've tried and case life is great.

Looking to either buy or build a long range mule deer rifle. I have an older r700 30-06 and am thinking about rebarrelling it to something. Not quite sure yet so I need some help. What are your thoughts on a rifle cartridge that can reach out and kill a deer at 800-1000 yards?
I hunt in Nebraska every year for mule deer.
Mule deer are tough and you want a heavy long bullet if you want to shoot at 500 plus yards and humanely kill the deer. These heavy long bullets retain muzzle energy at longer ranges and buck the wind better reducing wind drift.
You already have good action.
I would build a custom 7mm Remington mag, 338 win mag or 30 nosler with fast twist barrel to stabilize the heavy bullets.
Use a proof research barrel if u want light weight.
I like the 338's because of heavyweight bullets and retained kinetic energy on longer shots. The 7mm with 180-195 grain berger bullets kill like lightening
Dixie precision rifles out if Mississippi build affordable tack drivers
Call me and l can help u save some money.
Dave Lindler 864-941-6643

Was in the same boat. Re-barreled to a... .30-'06. 26" Lilja with Lapua brass and RL17 makes a potent LR system. Going to do another ladder here soon with the Berger 200-20X. 2850 without pressure and a G1 BC of .64 is a good thing. Got an antelope a few years back at 910 yards with the 200 gr ELDX. Deer are a bigger than a goat for sure, but I'd not have an issue with elk at that distance with my current setup. It drills holes at any distance with REM Core-lok, too. It's a simple and effective LR system, with no extra work.

If rifle is accurate - considered a 30-06AI ?.
Loved mine - gave to son!?!

Have 2 - 280AI (single shot falling block Browning & Borden custom) both magnificent ....

6.5/284 Mauser 98 (my Real Lite Weight for long treks)

Excellent Calibres All !!!
Can you post a pic of the falling block rifle?

Looking to either buy or build a long range mule deer rifle. I have an older r700 30-06 and am thinking about rebarrelling it to something. Not quite sure yet so I need some help. What are your thoughts on a rifle cartridge that can reach out and kill a deer at 800-1000 yards?
I've got an M48 Custom Shop 30 Nosler that shoots really great (actually I have 2) that I would part with. Sent you a piece of of it lol. That's all I had on this phone. It turns these bug axis in texas a flip! $2350 from Nosler. I'll take $2100. It'll killed as far as you want to kill one;)

Attachments

• IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    934.1 KB · Views: 258
Why mess with success? Do a 30-06 AI. You have the brass and the recoil is not going to be an issue. More choices for bullet weight and configuration than you will ever be able to shoot.

P.S. I didn't read all the previous posts. Didn't see that others had made the same suggestion. Just means it is a GREAT idea.

Like many have said, you will gain a lot ballistically by switch to a 280 AI. It's close to 7mm Rem Mag performance with the correct high BC bullets. The other pluses you really only need to swap your barrel and can likely get away with not using a brake. But, your asking for a 1000 yard capability, so if that's a real need then I'd look carefully at the ballistics based on the atmosphere you'll prinmarily be hunting in and make sure you can get enough velocity and energy from a 280 AI to honestly provide a moral quick clean kill with room for error, because at a 1000 yards there's gonna be done error primarily from wind.

BTW, opening up the bolt on a 700 and adding a Sako or M16 extractor is a piece of cake, I've had several done it works better than the original. Or, youre gonna pull the barrel anyway causing a re-headspace so you could get a new bolt fitted then. Then you can go to a cartridge that will give you room for error.

If you're looking to get out the cheapest and have a quality rifle, either get a 7MM mag or a 300 WSM factor rifle and both will get job done with energy to spare. Ammo can be bought anywhere.
If you're wanting to build the best gun possible, build a 300 Norma mag .284 and have one of the most accurate, flat shooting, hard hitting guns anywhere!

I have a reamer for it if you were to choose to go that route.

Happy Hunting,

Harvey

Why mess with success? Do a 30-06 AI. You have the brass and the recoil is not going to be an issue. More choices for bullet weight and configuration than you will ever be able to shoot.

P.S. I didn't read all the previous posts. Didn't see that others had made the same suggestion. Just means it is a GREAT idea.

Yes, a few other guys have suggested this, and I'll jump on the bandwagon as well. I've had one for about 25 years, and it's a great cartridge. If the builder doesn't set it up right, though, it can be a real pain in the neck. When it's done the way Ackley describes it, it works like a charm - just drop in a regular 30-06 cartridge ( factory or handload ) and on the first firing you'll get 308 Winchester-like velocity. After the fire-forming & reloading, performance is a little beyond the halfway point between the standard 30-06 and the 300 magnums. There will be less recoil and noise - mostly due to lighter powder charges. Cartridges feed nicely from the magazine, without any work on the magazine or feed rails. Done correctly, this conversion really is what it is said to be.

Based on your current action I'd go with the 280AI or 30-06, 30-06AI. You would be shocked at the performance of the 30-06/AI with a longer heavy barrel mine's a 26" 1:11.25"TR. I also have a 30-06AI that I'm messing around with load development and everything I feed it is shooting sub 2/3 MOA. You can really make the old warhorse reach out there with today's modern bullets. You get darn near the horsepower of a 300WM, moderate recoil, and works in your current package.

What's wrong with keeping it to 30/06? Just put a longer Barrel on it, you'll take Mule Deer without a hitch at long ranges. Look at heavy weight bullets 180, 215 Nosler etc.