Long Range Hunting

Davo

I have missed two coyotes this year because of range issues, the first trying to judge distance the second being calibre (30-06 180 grain - Do-oh!) and the third being scope power. I nail them under 200 standing with no problem.

Some of the coyotes in my area are from 400-700 yds. I am also in need of a long range deer gun.

1.I am buying some range-finder binoculars perhaps the Bushnell 8x36 Yardage Pro Quest to take care of the yardage guesswork.
2.I am considering buying a long/heavy barreled .243 and I am thinking about the new WShort Magnum 243 as well.
3. I am considering a TDS reticled Swarovski in 6-18 or 8-24 to allow me to use the rangefinder and scope reticle together.

Any suggestions for reaching out and touching something accurately at 400+ yards?

Davo
wink.gif

You may want to look at the Leica 1200 yard range finder for the range you want to range.

You know I have a Leica 1200 RF and it didn't do diddly squat on antelope at 550-750 yrds. So I'm sure it wouldn't do jack on a coyote at even less yards. The bottom line is that these "eye-safe" laser range finders just don't work well on anything less then highly reflective objects at the ranges specified. And coyotes are definately not highly reflective objects. You either try and find a military laser ($$$$$), or try one of the other ranging techniques, such as a Wild optical rangefinder or a mil-dot scope. A Wild would be an excellent one for the ranges that you're interested in, by they are heavy and bulky. But if you're calling coyotes, it might just be the thing. But DO NOT buy a Leica thinking that you're gonna range coyotes at greater 400 yrds, cause it just ain't gonna happen.

Roadrunner--
My My Leica 1200 has no problem ranging anything at ranges under 500 yards. I have ranged deer with it out to 800 in good conditions. Your complaint is common among antelope hunters. Even though they are light colored, something about their hair seems to just soak up and diffuse lasers. Try your Leica on other targets and I think you will be pleasantly surprised... If not, it may be a faulty laser or receiver and need to go back for repair.

S1--
I've used a Geovid and the only real advantage over the 1200 is it has better optics. It doesn't range any better or more accurately and weighs a ton compared to the 1200. The cost is SIX times the cost of the 1200 and I can buy TWO pairs of Leica Binos for the difference. I will concede that the Vector is in a class by itself.

[ 12-17-2002: Message edited by: Chris Jamison ]

I have a Wild and if you are sitting and glassing for varmints it works excellent but for calling coyotes where you are moving every 15 to 20 minuets it is to big and heavy in my opinion. The 243 improved would be a good choice with the heavy bullets.
Crow Mag

Davo,

I love coyote hunting so much I sold the family farm and moved to Arizona two years ago because I kept running out of coyotes to shoot at in Indiana.

For calling, I use a 17 Remington with a 27" Lilja barrel. I push 25 grain Bergers out the muzzle at 4,300 FPS. Sighted at 200 yards, at that speed, I can hold dead on a coyote out to 250 yards and only be 1.25" low. For calling coyotes, it's a rare coyote I can't entice inside of 250 yards with a couple of pup howls or squeals.

When I go looking for the longer coyotes, I go to the irrigation circles. my YP 1000 can't range the coyotes much past 400 yards, but it will range the wheels on the spigot, out to 7-800 yards. Having a spotter for coyotes is a big help, someone needs to see his reaction on impact to tell where he was hit. A coyote hit with a large bullet that passed though, can run a long ways. Hit low and drop one in the heart, and he will fold up 60-100 yards. But hit a little far back into the liver and he will hunch up at impact then line out and may run close to half a mile. Don't give up your search too quickly, hitting one may be the easiest part.

One would be hard pressed to beat the capabilities of the military laser rangefinders even if they are not eye safe.

You don't have to worry about ANY weather conditions interferring with their operations at all.

You must use them with caution as per where they are lasered and should have a good back stop when doing so.

There are many in this country being used and the price is between $3000.00 and $3500.00 when you find one for sale. Most LR hunters and shooters like them so well, they hold on to them.

You will see them for sale from time to time.

DC

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.