Long Range Hunting

Davo,

I am glad to see other people dispensing coyotes. If you are looking for a long range varmint rifle consider the 308 winchester. The ballistics dont look like much on paper, but its the pin point accuracy at 100-1000 yards that has earned my respect for so many years. The 308 is as perfectly balanced for accuracy as you can get, this side of a.50cal. A good remington 700 will shoot extreemly tight groups at 400+ yards. The 308 broke all the 30-06 records shortly after it was introduced. As long as your not hunting elk at long range, the 308 would be a perfect coyote driller at 800 yards and even more. Dont be intimidated by its trajectory, get a good laser and a calculator and a scope with turrets and you will be amazed with what you can do. Just keep an eye on the air density. A 308 will also kill a deer with no problem out to 600 yards and 800-1000 with the right bullet and of course bullet placement.

Despite what others have said about the Leica 1200 laser, I have one and in all weather and sun light or lack of, I get it to work on dall sheep out past 1200 yards. If it doesent work right, send it back and have them fix it.

Swarovski make extreemly good optics but for less $$$ and more durability give a hard look at the Night force scopes but there certainly is nothing wrong with the swarovski's The night force scope I have has been droped, banged, beaten up on mountain hunts, and I have never had to readjust it. They also have one of the best warrenties (thats to say you ever have to use it.) And very good customer relations.

Good hunting

null

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.