long range hunting/shooting in florida?

Frogman77

hey guys, I might be moving down to sunny florida. Probably around Eglin AFB if I do. Just curious if there are any long range hunting/shooting areas around there.

Anyone know??

Florida :rolleyes:, I lived there for eight years, but I don't recall any place where you can shoot-hunt long range, there are open places, but its illigal to shoot, like on the beach, or along the highway, in the open water from the boat as well, most of the hunting is done at very close range like 20 - 30 yards, you can't see much pass that, the vegetation is abundant and land is mostly flat, if you try say Osceola there are dirt roads, which can starch for miles, but still this could be a problem.

I'm moving there too and asked a similar question on here a little while ago. I was directed to this club.

Pascagoula Shooting Club

It'd be a little bit of a drive from Eglin, but might be worth it occasionally. I'm hoping Eglin has space, too.

Never tried to hunt along Mississippi-Florida border, I assume you can find a spot on some farm-field which would give you long range.

I live in Niceville and I've been stationed at Hurlburt for the last 7 years. There is a nice 200 yd range on Hurlburt open to anyone with a military ID (i.e. AD, retired,...) They have a High Power match every month. Pascagoula is the closest 1,000 yd range and has a High Power XTC match once a month and a long range (600 or 1000 yd, you choose) match every month. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me to get the Pascagoula but its Interstate all the way. The Army 7SFG is building a new camp on Eglin and we are hoping they will build a 1,000yd KD range. Eglin has the room just not the interest. The Army has the interest so we'll just have to wait and see. I hunt on public land, either Eglin range or some state forest land near by and haven't found anything close to long range yet. Nice place to live though. I plan to retire soon and stay there.

Gordon

They do have long ranges don't get me wron, I thought post was about long range hunting in Florida, there is one range in Jacksonville or Orange Park been a while... :rolleyes:

There's GRPC-Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club in the Jax/O.P. area with the longest being a 200 yard range that can be used if your an annual member. Their other shorter ranges can be used with a daily pass. The next closest would be Bradford's with the longest being a 600 yard range. Here's both links:

GRPC Home

Bradford Sportsmen's Farm - Home

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.