Long range hunting scope

Thanks for the replies. I am currently leaning toward either a bushnell lrts 4-18x44 or a nightforce atacr 4-16x42.

For those who asked, my intended purpose is deer sized game out to 600-700 yards.
The LRTS is a lot of scope for the money, doesn't compare to the ATACR. If you don't need FFP you could get the 4-16x50 ATACR. ATACR is a solid choice.

So they're both heavy

A Zeiss conquest v6 3-18x 50 weighs 22 ounces
Food for thought

We have a V6 the reduced weight is nice. Glass is good for what we paid but not up there with the ATACR. My only worry is that ours isn't tracking properly. I zero'd my dad's SAUM at 100yds, ran it out to 600yds to get DOPE. Let him have at it. He kept missing deer, i thought it was because he didn't have the range finder. I finally got it and put it back on paper and had a 10" vertical shift of the likes i've never seen. Rezero'd and haven't had issues since but it was concerning. Will have to keep an eye on it.

On a hunting rifle...vx3i lrp 6.5-20x50...sf....
Does the job I need of it....haven't any issues at all....
And it is liteweight......
But not everybody wants/likes leupold...

On a hunting rifle...vx3i lrp 6.5-20x50...sf....
Does the job I need of it....haven't any issues at all....
And it is liteweight......
But not everybody wants/likes leupold...

Leupold aren't bad and usually have quality glass. Last Leupy i had though i did not care for at all and my experience mirrored a lot of others with the Mark 6. M5B2 knobs were mushy as hell, it was 2/10ths off tracking, eyebox was the most sensitive i'd ever been behind, lowlight performance was not so great (though expected), and the glass while good was lackluster for the price.

Leupold reminds me of remington, at least on the competition/tactical side of things, they seem to not really care what the market demands and want to rely on gov't contracts.

Seems they're trying to turn a new leaf with the Mark 5, which will peak my interest if it actually retails at 1999$

If they would field a Mil/Mil FFP hunting optic i'd be all over it.

Well if there are guys here that have the vx3i lrp 6.5-20 tmoa..I will gladly break my bank and give you $250 a piece.....lol...all day til I am broke...

Another one could be a March 2-25? I have been looking into one. I have a vx6 3-18 that Has treated me well too. I think the vx5 or swaro z5 might be nice also. Depending on setup I have a hard time with some of the heavier scopes balancing on my hunting rifles. If you have a heavier long range build going then the nxs,atacr,s&b II are some of the best out there......

1006yards.JPG Like I said before I have a Vx3 lrp 6.5X20x 50 on a 240wby and I have killed 5 or 6 (or more) antelope at ranges between 800 and 1100 yards with it. It is very reliable and has served me well. The antelope in the picture was killed at 1006 yards.

But the real issue issue is what kind of hunting does the OP plan to do with the scope. I also have a light weight short barreled 260 Rem that carries a Nighforce 2.5X10 X42 compact with the velocity reticle. I have killed several elk and deer with it, but all under 500 yards and that is the kind of hunting that I got it for.

Thanks for the replies. I am currently leaning toward either a bushnell lrts 4-18x44 or a nightforce atacr 4-16x42.

For those who asked, my intended purpose is deer sized game out to 600-700 yards.

The ATACR 4-16x42 is my favorite scope on my main two hunting rifles, a 6 creedmoor and a 6.5x284 at around the 600 yard distance you have mentioned.
The scope has great glass, is bulletproof, capped windage, and crisp elevation turret feel.

Another one could be a March 2-25? I have been looking into one. I have a vx6 3-18 that Has treated me well too. I think the vx5 or swaro z5 might be nice also. Depending on setup I have a hard time with some of the heavier scopes balancing on my hunting rifles. If you have a heavier long range build going then the nxs,atacr,s&b II are some of the best out there......
March is the best hunting scope on the market when weight is a concern

Leupold aren't bad and usually have quality glass. Last Leupy i had though i did not care for at all and my experience mirrored a lot of others with the Mark 6. M5B2 knobs were mushy as hell, it was 2/10ths off tracking, eyebox was the most sensitive i'd ever been behind, lowlight performance was not so great (though expected), and the glass while good was lackluster for the price.

Leupold reminds me of remington, at least on the competition/tactical side of things, they seem to not really care what the market demands and want to rely on gov't contracts.

Seems they're trying to turn a new leaf with the Mark 5, which will peak my interest if it actually retails at 1999$

If they would field a Mil/Mil FFP hunting optic i'd be all over it.

This is far from my experience with the vx6, I've had a 3-18x50 on my 28 Nosler for about a year now and am very impressed with it.
Tracks perfectly I've shoot extensively from about every range out to 1340 yards, glass is very good (HD's are even better).
Target acquisition is very fast with the vx6, and I really like the turrets, yeah they don't have a tactical click but low profile knobs with 20 moa per revolution is very attractive for hunting.
Big heavy tactical scopes are great for competition shooting, but are at a disadvantage when it comes to speed and maneuverability for quick shot hunting scenarios.
I've learned that the hard way, and wont put a tactical brick on a hunting rifle ever again.

I'm also looking for a long range scope in this category. It will go on an 8.5# 30 Nosler. It will be a do it all out west big game rifle. Thinking 2-3x on the low end and 15-18x up top. $1500-2500. I looked at NF, but even my SHV 4-14 is too heavy for what I want. Initially looked at swaro z6 but then the zeiss V6 3-18 was released. Looked perfect...right power, right weight, right price.
Don't like the sound of this though:
The LRTS is a lot of scope for the money, doesn't compare to the ATACR. If you don't need FFP you could get the 4-16x50 ATACR. ATACR is a solid choice.

We have a V6 the reduced weight is nice. Glass is good for what we paid but not up there with the ATACR. My only worry is that ours isn't tracking properly. I zero'd my dad's SAUM at 100yds, ran it out to 600yds to get DOPE. Let him have at it. He kept missing deer, i thought it was because he didn't have the range finder. I finally got it and put it back on paper and had a 10" vertical shift of the likes i've never seen. Rezero'd and haven't had issues since but it was concerning. Will have to keep an eye on it.

I'm also looking for a long range scope in this category. It will go on an 8.5# 30 Nosler. It will be a do it all out west big game rifle. Thinking 2-3x on the low end and 15-18x up top. $1500-2500. I looked at NF, but even my SHV 4-14 is too heavy for what I want. Initially looked at swaro z6 but then the zeiss V6 3-18 was released. Looked perfect...right power, right weight, right price.
Don't like the sound of this though:

It's one scope without a diagonosed problem. Could've been a lot of things. I have a Zeiss conquest. I thought it was maybe tracking off. Did a box test, marched around the paper perfectly. Turned out I was having a bad day. I wouldn't be afraid of a full warranty scope

Last edited:
This is far from my experience with the vx6, I've had a 3-18x50 on my 28 Nosler for about a year now and am very impressed with it.
Tracks perfectly I've shoot extensively from about every range out to 1340 yards, glass is very good (HD's are even better).
Target acquisition is very fast with the vx6, and I really like the turrets, yeah they don't have a tactical click but low profile knobs with 20 moa per revolution is very attractive for hunting.
Big heavy tactical scopes are great for competition shooting, but are at a disadvantage when it comes to speed and maneuverability for quick shot hunting scenarios.
I've learned that the hard way, and wont put a tactical brick on a hunting rifle ever again.

The mark 6 is 23oz i think? Not heavy at all. It's known to have issues though, leupold of course will fix it but even if it had tracked properly i loathed the knobs (M5B2) and the eyebox was the tightest i'd ever been behind. Glass for a 2300$ scope was lacking also, of course i didn't pay that for it. Got it at 1750$, still i'd never look to a mark 6 again. My Mark 4 i had was fine, wouldn't mind looking at the mark 5s. If they would field a Mil/Mil hunting scope i'd be happy to look at the VX6 lineup. I have no use for MOA personally.

It's one scope without a diagonosed problem. Could've been a lot of things. I have a Zeiss conquest. I thought it was maybe tracking off. Did a box test, marched around the paper perfectly. Turned out I was having a bad day. I wouldn't be afraid of a full warranty scope

I haven't done a tracking test on it like i did with the mark 6, but i can attest that i wasn't having a bad day, it was grouping fine. Just 10" high. I agree though zeiss offers a lifetime warranty i'd not be afraid to buy from them. We have a conquest on my sako that's been fine.

Last edited:
If you can stomach $2k, save your change for an extra 6-8 months and look long and hard at the Tangent Theta TT315M. 3-15×50, best turrets, tracking and glass out there, save for MAYBE the Hensoldt. Only 27oz. too. Low uncapped turrets, zero stop, 12 MIL or 40MOA of usable elevation, illuminated reticle, 2nd rotation indicator, 30mm tube. With the quality of glass, it is plenty for deer sized game well past effective range of most cartridges. I run my Premier Heritage Light Tactical 3-15×50 (the TT315M predecessor) out to 1500+ on my lightweight .280AI.

The TT315M is my next hunting scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.