Long range hunting scope match

HUAINAMACHERO

Please post a comment, havent decided between NIGHTFORCE 5.5X20X50 and LEUPOLD MARK IV 6.5x20x50, for a 270 winchester whitetail deer rifle.

IF THEY RUN THEY WOULD ONLY DIE TIRED!!!

You should buy a nightforce 3.5X15X50. The 5.5X22 will be overkill for your 270. Nightofrce is the way to go. Good luck.

The NF is your best option. there is nothing wrong with the Leupold but the NF is the better scope. great glass, great turrets, great reticles. the leupold is great but the NF is just a little better in every option. we sell a ton of them, shot almost nothing but them and have nothing bad to say about them. you wont be sorry with the NF

have a good un
steve

How about a good old fashioned Zeiss Conquest? IMO, they are as good as a nightforce, only 1 inch and not 30 mm, and have unsurpassed optics. Looking through one gives you quality that is amazing. I hate to throw a different scope at you because I know it just makes things that more complex but it is hard to ignore the Zeiss quality and the new rapid z reticles.

The NF is your best option. there is nothing wrong with the Leupold but the NF is the better scope. great glass, great turrets, great reticles. the leupold is great but the NF is just a little better in every option. we sell a ton of them, shot almost nothing but them and have nothing bad to say about them. you wont be sorry with the NF

have a good un
steve

I must agree. I just received my 3.5-15x50 nsx and it is just a little better in every way conpared to my 2 mk4's 2.5-10x40 & 4.5-14x50.

Unless you are spending a lot of time on the range the 3.5-15, IMO is the way to go.

You don't say where you plan to hunt and the "normal" distances game is normally seen at... I have found that a 4.5 -14X50 scope gives you the ability to be in "close" cover and reach out and touch with the 14x... For whitetail deer hunting having the lower power my be more important than having the 20x on the high end. More important to me is having a rangeing reticle... the Zeiss Rapid Z in 600 or 800 yard versions give you the aim-points to make long distance kills. The Zeiss Conquest series deserves a close look... Remember, PRACTICE is the key to long range shooting success! Have fun and shoot straight! NJS

Thank you gays for all the tips. I will go with the nightforce 3.5x15x50. I believe that for my 270 Win, it will be enough.

Armando

The Nightforce have more positive turrets, I like the glass is better in the NF, and the Nightforce feels like a more of a robust scope.

On the Leupold I like the 15moa travel in one REV., I like the TMR reticle a lot, and for the price the Leupold if very nice.

We have the Nightforce in stock.

Mike @ CSGW

I like NF too. For a hunting rifle though, some of the very clear benefits of the NF *might* be offset by the weight difference.

The 6.5-20x Leupold isn't bad, and a little lighter than the equivalent NF. I have a 6.5-20x40 on my .22-250 and a 6.5-20x50 on my 6.5-300Wby, and I also like the 4.5-14x Loopy suggested above. I have a 4.5-14x40 on my daughter's .243, and a 4.5-14x50 on my LTR and they are decent scopes.

Those NXSs sure are nice though, seriously solid scopes . . .

You can always dial a 22x down but you can't dial a 15x up, and FWIW, the size difference between a 3.5-15x50 and a 5.5-22x50 is minimal. It's really not a substantial selection factor, and there is about 3/4" in length and what Mike, an ounce or two in weight dif?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.