long range hunting scope magnification??

maxx

I am looking for opinions on what you all are using for real life hunting rifles for mountain game like sheep and goats? I am using a Swarovski 4-12x50 AV with BR recticle, and am considering going to a 14x or 18x scope,

thoughts and opnions?

thanks

Your question will probably get a varying range of answers as power choice is a personal thing. While some will say a 3-9x works fine for them, others will prefer a 4-16x or 5.5-22x. Once I get much beyond 500 yards or so I prefer 12-42x but my eyes aren't what they used to be. Mirage can be a problem with higher x. If your eyes are still pretty good then I would think your thought about 18x would probably work well. IMHO if I were going to go with 14x then I'd just stay with your current 12x. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it works for you. Enjoy.

I use 4.5 - 14x. I feel good with it out to 800 yds or so. I recently had to take a running shot at 30 yds on 4.5X. I was really glad I hadn't gone for a 6 -24 power.

Stu.

if it is a dedicated lr rifle shot from prone go with 5x22, if it is a rifle you carry, and may take a off hand shot, put a 3x9 or 4x16 on it.

I am using a Swarovski 4-12x50 AV with BR recticle

I have taken 2 goats and one sheep here in Montana and can't imagine wanting to take a shot beyond 800 yds because of where these animals live and the terrain they exist in. With that said I personally think your 4-12 is more than acceptable. If I was going to do any upgrade I would wait until mid summer when Kenton Industries will start producing turrets for the Swaro. I'd add some turrets to your BR reticle and you'd have the best of both worlds. Keep in mind that for every power you go up, generally speaking, you are going to lose some field of view.

I like the higher towards 20 for judging the game, Swaro has something like a 6-30 coming out this year, I think it is already avaliable. Then I dont have to pack my spotting scope as much

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts