Long Range Hunting Rifle On A Budget

With the Vortex Viper HSLR w/ FFP Scope and Kenton turrets on this 300 Win Mag, I wonder what the maximum range will be that I can dial in? 1000 yard shots at elk and orxy are not un heard of here in New Mexico. Also what would be the best bullet? A lot of the long range videos I has seen are shooting 208 Amax to over 1000. I was looking on the Kenton site, and as I recall, they do not offer anything for over 180gr. Between deer and elk, I plan to stay between 165 and 208, depending on range and conditions. Doing my own loading, it is not hard to carry a variety.

The higher BC bullets will make a big difference. It really depends on what your rifle shoots best and what u can get.

The tracking email says my Boyd's Tacticool stock is in at the p.o. so I'm on my way there. It will go on my 6.5Cm stainless Ruger M77 mk2. Hopefully my package from SWFA gets in soon. I'm going with the Rifle Basics trigger. I may eventually go to an aftermarket barrel but for now I'll give the factory barrel a good work out.

So my scope and the Boyd's stock were both it when I went to the mailbox.
The scope was a suprise as I said 6×42 but it was a 10×42 in the mail. And on the invoice, So, I think I need to work.on my speaking Texan. :D
Its all good. I will order more scopes but was playing around with.it and at 9 paces or so I can see most of the width of a 55 gal oil barrel. And the clarity ect at distances is awesome.
The Boyd's stock was truely drop right in but I have to open the barrel channel a little for free floating.

I decided to give the factory LC6 trigger a little attention. . Snipped off about 1.3 wraps of the spring. All the sudden its about 2-3 lbs and really very good. So I'll hold off on the trigger order.
So, a little bedding work, a tripod and some more load development and I may well have my budget long range rifle

So, starting from a factory rifle, adding a SWFA SS scope. Boyd's Tacticool stock, a MILDOT MASTER and a set of Leupold rings and a bipod can get a very useful lr rifle for less than 1300 $ . That would include a set of dies and probably some components.

Here we go again: I have started collecting parts/ordering parts for the next Teo concept savage. Another 111, Boyds Tacticool stock, PacNor barrel in 280AI, RifleBasix SAV2 trigger JP brake, various tools from midwayusa, Vortex HSLR FFP scope. Biggest challenge now is waiting patiently for all the components to arrive...

Just a followup- I have everything now except for the new barrel. This is starting to resemble an actual rifle...

Attachments

• DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 014.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 014.JPG
    257.5 KB · Views: 138
  • DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 006.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 006.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 134
  • DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 009.JPG
    DIY Savage paint and assembly 7.19.14 009.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 139
I was looking on the Kenton site, and as I recall, they do not offer anything for over 180gr. Between deer and elk, I plan to stay between 165 and 208, depending on range and conditions. Doing my own loading, it is not hard to carry a variety.

I cacn;t imagine why Kenton would stop at 180's? They are just basically printing a label on a metal turret with a laser. Call them and give them your drop data and they should be able to burn any info you want on to the turret. You could name your gun the S.S. Tweedy Bird and I'm sure they could engrave that on there...

You are spot on about Kenton. You send them your drop data, they engrave based on what you provide, up to three revolutions on the turret, depending on which format you select. I have several, and they work great within the parameters you specify. Pretty quick service too.

Finally! The barrel for my 280AI project rifle came last Friday. Assembled and headspaced, some fitting on the stock, put it all back together and:

Attachments

• Completion! 001.JPG
    Completion! 001.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 130
  • Completion! 003.JPG
    Completion! 003.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 131
Great article. I got a Savage 110, long action, turned it into a 338-378 Weatherby. Holland muzzle break, Lilja barrel, Accutrigger. Boyds varmit thumb hole stock. Next up is glass, the scope is probably a turd. Even if it works, the image is terrible @ hi mag. Hope to be shooting it in a week or two. This article got me started on the Savage, as I found it to be long enough for that big cartridge. Got the bolt face for the Lapua and away we go! Really excited.

I have been shooting this rifle now for about a year, and it is definitly teaching me ALOT! First thing learned was what low pressure looks and acts like. People here on this site got me ironed out. Then I learned that tight chambers aint necessarily all that. People here got me over that one too. Next, I found out that not ******* your smith off is a Really Good Idea, cause if you dont know anything then what you think is the problem may not actually be the problem and if you done ****ed off the smith ...People here helped me with that, too. Anyway, I truly am having a blast. My rifle has demonstrated 3/8 MOA. Last week I put 2 thru the same hole. Course the next three werenot that close, and the last 2 missed the 200m gong completely, but thats because the scope fell off ! Oh well Im having fun !

OH yes the total out of pocket cost has been $35 to me because of all the tip jar winnings.

That reminds me of the time I asked my wife to go buy a fishing/ hunting boat. She told me I had to trade something for it. So I bought a good boat with non working motor for $60 and parted the whole thing out. Ended up with enough money from selling the block, stator and propeller to buy a good boat hull and a new 5 hp Briggs and Stratton outboard. And had $30 left over. :D