Long Range Hunting (Packable)

Brambles

I wanna get your guys opinion on this project

I want to build a long range hunting rifle but one that isn't too **** heavy to pack into a hole, basin or canyon.

Right now its an MOA shooter as basically a factory BDL SS m700 in 300 ultra mag, it has a Hi-Tech specialties sheep hunter stock on it right now and shoots a 200 accubond at 3200 fps.

I like the 300 ultra mag but I am considerig a 338 RUM or 338 EDGE. My reasoning for the change up to 338 is more down range energy, less wind drift and most importantly longer barrel life.

The one drawback of the EDGE, dies are expensive but at least I'll be able to use my 300 RUM brass.

The one drawback of the 338 RUM is brass is harder to find.

-For now, I want to keep the factory BDL bottom metal, is it possible to use the high BC bullets without using a aftermarket magazine system?

-Barrel contour and length have the most impact on gun weight and balance, given the stock I'm gonna use it would be very easy to get a terrible balancing rifle. What would the smallest profile and shortest length you'd recommend for this rifle and still have the best chance at consistant 1/2MOA accuracy? And not totally kill the cartridge performance?

I'd love to hear opinions and feedback on this.

My Sako A7 270WSM is a 1/2 MOA shooter with a factory sporter barrel and my 280AI is a 1/2 - 3/4 MOA shooter with a #1 barrel, one shooting TTSX and the other TSX. I gotta believe my goals are achieveable

Last edited:
Mule deer and elk out to 1000, I know its probably more gun than needed but, the country around here is thick, I need the most hurt in one shot I can, cause you might not get another shot if they get into the thick stuff.

Now weight is a tough one to nail down, I had a 300 RUM sendero SF that was 8.5lbs naked with the factory HS precision stock. It was a touch muzzle heavy but was certainly packable.

The fact that I have a Hi-Tech stock here to use is the limiting factor on the barrel diameter but if its really gonna come down to accuracy I'll invest in another stock if I have to. But I don't want a 15lb gun. I'm thinking of 10lbs with a scope as the Max.

But I'm flexible if a small increase in weight is gonna make a significant improvement on accuracy and consistancy.

my edge is close to 10lbs with a NF on top, no bipod. If you like your stock i would keep it and just rebarrel to 338 edge. My barrel is like a sendero contour but finishes at .720 at the muzzle and is 28" long 10 medium cut flutes and a muscle break on top. It is packable but i like carrying my 6.5lb 7mag that much more.

Look at pg 4 guns for sale- has a spec list Defensive Edge 338 rum, 26''braked, HS stock, 1/2 shooter 8.5 # bare, barrel #5 fluted. I have a 338 Norma that is finished @8-12 oz,scope sling aci ,w/steel rail.But it has some costly weight reduction like a Lone wolf kevlar glass stock,abs barrel wrap, And went Leupold M4 for scope because it is 22 oz. I could have saved more weight w ADL STYLE, and alum scope rail. Bare rifle is 7-2 oz, with26'' braked pipe

My carry and I figure packable rig is a REM 700 338 RUM factory bbl w/tupperware stock and a Holland QD brake.

Fully dressed w/o bipod and loaded (single shot) is 8 pounds.

Bipod and web sling add maybe a pound. Bipod is not a Harris type but a solid custom bipod made for the rifle and carry system.

I don't carry the rig in a pack unless there is no and I mean no chance of a shot along the way. With elk, bear, deer and woofs all on the shootable list one wants to be ready.:)

As is she's been shot effectively out to 1200 yards. If an improvement is to be made to it it would be switching the Holland brake for a Muscle brake. Not that it is currently bad, can spot all shots at any distance under most shooting conditions. I think the Muscle brake would do a bit better with about the same weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.