Long range hunting optics (CDS)

matt_3479

I am buying a 300.wsm and i would like to set up a nice scope on it. I am currently shooting a 7mm rem mag and it does almost everything i need but my scope is ******. I want the 300. wsm for the big game and long shots. I was looking at a Leupold 4.5x-14x, 40mm with CDS in VX-3. Im not fully sure how it works though and was wondering if anyone knew. If there is another scope out there that is also really good and is under 800 dollars please just let me know. Im not sure how the turrets actually work and i would like to know how the CDS and other turrets work?

I would have recomanded a 3x9 or a 3 1/2x10 Leupold but you said it was for long range hunting so your choice is excellant for that. You could get blastic raticals put in it, but they are good for only 1 bullet BC at 1 velocity and at 1 power setting so I much prefer useing a drop chart. Make sure you have target knobs on the scope and you will need a good range finder, a 1200 yrds. one. There are several good program to run your load with that will give you a pretty good idea of what to set your scope on at any given range, but they will all be off alittle so you need to check you setting at the range. Zero your rifle at 100 yrds. then add what the program said for 200 yrds and try it at 200 yrds. Then try 300, 400, 500 ect. When you have the correction for the 100 yrd increment setting corect put them on a card and tape it to your gun. For yardages not on the 100`s interplate. ( 50 yrds would be 1/2 way between and 75 yrds. would be 3/4 of the ways between the 100 yrds settings.) These setting will work no matter what power your scope is set on.

Im not sure how the turrets actually work and i would like to know how the CDS and other turrets work?

with the CDS (Custom DIal System) you buy the scope and send Leuold the drop information for your rifle/bullet/atmosphere. They send you back an elevation knob marked to match your ammo based on the information you sent. http://www.leupold.com/_images/lightbox/cds_detail.jpg

CDS is not a rangefinder.
It does not assist in calculating windage.
It is not a drop calibrated reticle. You still have to turn the knobs. What it does do is eliminate having a lookup table to convert distance to drop... but only for one BC and one muzzle velocity and one air density (or at least ones that are close to the same).

OTHER RETICLE - KNOB systems:

Angle calibrated target knobs with simple crosshairs.
Good - works with any bullet/velocity/atmosphere.
Bad - no rangefinder - needs lookup table (or computer to determine drop and windage.
Requires knob twisting or any change in distance or windage.

Angle calibrated knobs with Mi-Dot or MOA reticle
Good- works with any bullet/velocity/atmosphere and as a low precision stadia rangefinder
Dots may also be used with limited precision for windage and elevation holdoffs.
Bad - still needs lookup table for drop and windage. Requires knob twisting for longer shots.

BDC reticles - with ballistic cam (ART scopes)
Good - Adjustable cams can match various ammo/velocity/ atmosphere. Built in low precision stadia rangefinder. Faster than target knobs. Most useful as a dedicated medium range scope on military rifles using only one ammo type.
Bad. Difficult to set for different bullets, velocities and atmospheres. Must have known target size to calculate range No help for calculating windage. Less precise than target knobs.

Drop claibrated reticle. -Springfield armory and others.
Good Very fast. No knob twiddling. Can range to known size targets or can work with a separate rangefinder. No knob twiddling with normal use.
Can also be used with clicks and lookup tables, but no advantage over Mil-Dot in that use.
Can help with windage by interpolation. Probably the fastest "stand alone" system.
Bad - Reticle matched to one bullet/velocity/atmosphere. Limited precision.

Adjustable calibrated reticle. Zeiss Rapid-Z
Similar to drop calibrated reticle, but also uses the scope's zoom feature to partially compensate for bullet velocity. It assumes moderately high BC bullets for the shape of the trajectory, but can adjust for a fair range of velocity. No knob twiddling for bullets within it's useful range. (most medium caliber high power rifles). Fast.
Bad. calibrations are compromises. as exact trajectories vary with BCs. Not for high precision shooting. Scope must be set to a specific magnification which depends on the ammo.

Angle calibrated grid. - Horus Vision
Good. Works with any bullet velocity, and atmosphere. The most precise elevation and windage method without twiddling knobs and counting clicks. Faster than target knobs.
It can be used as a stadia rangefinder but that is a waste of the scopes inherent accuracy. One benefit is that It makes zeroing the scope easy ( a featured shared by Shepherd dual reticle scopes).
Bad. A little less precise than a scope with good target knobs. A very busy reticle which requires good eyesight just to read the reticle when shooting at long range. Hard to use in low light. Requires lookup table or computer to determine settings (same as using target knobs).

I'm waiting for a Star trek scope that ranges and calculates everything knowing also what I am shooting at (accepts verbal commands too) then it will be easier to hunt long range! My order for one of the beamer units would be helpful too, as I could use it to travel closer to the anaimal. Still on backorder.

Scotty

matt_3479 said:
... I want the 300. wsm for the big game and long shots. I was looking at a Leupold 4.5x-14x, 40mm with CDS in VX-3...

How do you define "long range"?

Generally speaking, for big game hunting you should get a larger objective - at least 50mm. It. Will allow at least 25% higher magnification in low light.

The CDS dial is the same application as the Huskemaw or G7 dial. A bullet drop dial.Works as good as the info you give it.I would combine it w/TMR reticle.

I've sold a few of the side focus CDS scope this year too. Haven't heard anything bad about them and everyone gives me great feedback on them.

Mac

With CDS dails (the short ones?), I think you only get 1 revolutoin for engraving yardage. If you have leupold put the tall target turrets on the scope they should be able to etch the yardage on them out to 1400yrds or so, and you still have the moa hashmarks at the base of the turret. The one on my 300rum is etched out to 1450yrds. Call leupold and see what they can do. 1-800-leupold

With CDS dails (the short ones?), I think you only get 1 revolutoin for engraving yardage. If you have leupold put the tall target turrets on the scope they should be able to etch the yardage on them out to 1400yrds or so, and you still have the moa hashmarks at the base of the turret. The one on my 300rum is etched out to 1450yrds. Call leupold and see what they can do. 1-800-leupold

No you get what you ask for.That will fit 2 turns,your zero,elevation,bullet,etc.They push the one turn,just have to ask custom shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.