Long Range Hunting Ambush By Shawn Carlock

Shawn:

As usual another great write up and really enjoyed the read.:)

Sure sounded like some familiar stuff in there.:rolleyes: It should help a lot of new long range people out as it's very informative and easy to put in the ol memory bank for future use.

A very good read with much information.

What Shawn calls LRH Ambush I call Hide hunting. The generally accepted acronym will now be LRHA in honor of Shawn.

During the read I reflected on my personal growth. Thanks to this forum I started out several years ahead of Shawn. As usual its the pioneers that pay the big price.

The point well made was the tendency to lean towards more open areas where there are fewer targets. I think that that is because of the nature of a hunter. I know I always envision to the extent that I can see in the picture in my head, the direction the animal is facing and the size of the rack. That is flat wrong. Plus, it never happens that way. And I mean NEVER! This is my biggest challenge when at the ambush spot.

Thanks again Len and Shawn

Great article and outstanding reference. I honestly feel any long range shooter can apply this basic methods for all types of hunting whether they be Zebra or coyotes.

I especially liked the .4 second travel tip.

If you could just show me where to set up that would be outstanding.:) We don't live to far apart.

I just need to review the aerial photos and then hike more this summer.lightbulb

Thanks again for the great article
ODAVID

Nice article shawn. I like the idea of shooting up or down instead of across. In the high country cross canyon thermals can really screw with your POI. If its an afternoon hunt i like to be at the ridge shooting down because by that time the wind is in your face, and in the morning i like to drop into the timberline and hunt the meadows above for the same reason, the wind is in your favor and its more predictable. Again great article!

In the excellent article Shawn used the example of starting at noon and hunting till dark. I am a FNG to this realm (LRHA) but have been fortunate to hunt a lot inside a quarter mile. I often catch game sunning ( getting their vitamin D ) on the western edge of meadows. Hell my dog is smart enough to lay in the sun every day and our horses do the same ; what do you know , observation has shown game animals are smart enough to do it as well. I take advantage of this by marking my topo ( now google earth ) maps with ingress / outgress trails in combo with GPS plots from actually walking these trails with my Sears Craftsman compound pruners, to allow me to be in place when the sun comes up. The new red,green and blue LED lights make getting in and out in the dark much safer and quieter to spook less game. I have a feeling I am not teaching Shawn anything but would love to learn his refinements!
Setting up for forecast weather i.e. winds was not discussed but when shooting hogs at long well "intermediate" range ; I try a shooting position for tailwinds or headwinds instead of crosswinds ( must be the pilot in me that hates anything other than a grease job landing ). Beyond the up or down canyon comment , What do you prefer Shawn?

Our country is a little different, we have canyons and more canyons, so our ability to pick a location based on wind is some what limited. Even though we are shooting long range I still like a quite entrance and exit, so I find routes like that or make them like that. We run alot of setups that go like this: hike out a road closed to motor vehicles to spot "X", either hike down a finger ridge or up to the top of the main ridge to a preselected shooting location. Either way gets us away from most people and involves cross canyon shooting. Down canyon shots are sometimes available but not common. My favorite spots are ones I have practiced from before.

Yes it is different. Down here(Texas) in the SouthWest we get mainly Northwest cold front winds or Southeasterlies filling back in afterwards. That works well with the shooting downwind or upwind to an animal "sunning" on the edge of brush or timber. I actually learned this technique on bushbok, nyala and kudu in Africa. Christi and I Look forward to taking one of your courses when it is hot here and cooler there. Thanks for your time Shawn.

Great article! As usual, I learned even more to help my LRH. Your article clearly pointed out things that I need to be doing to be more successful on my hunts.

Thanks again Shawn for sharing your experience!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.