Long range hog for this little gun....

41mag

The grandson and I slipped out to the back pasture Saturday evening to look around and spotted a pack of hogs on a hillside about 500yds out. We got as close as we could which was still in the 450yd range before we ran out of cover. The rifle is definately not what would be considered long range gear in my book but it reached out and touched the big boar. THe wind combined with the low power scope and fat cross hairs put the hit about 6" to the right of the aim point but it dropped him and allowed and a quick follow up once we closed the distance. This big old boar has been reaking havoc on our place and several of our neighbors places for about three years. I was very happy to finially put him out of our misery.
http://community.webshots.com/photo/340732053/340732053BnVmjk#

The rifle is a Ruger Compact in .308 with a 16.5" barrel, topped with a Burris 1.5x6 Electro Dot. It is mainly used for back in the woods and river bottoms, however you use what you got when you don't plan ahead.

The grandson got off several shots with his new gun also. It didn't do much though since it only goes click, click. LOL

Still saving for something special, that will reach out with no doubts. Hint Hint.

Later,

Welcome aboard and good goin' Mike.
Should make some decent BBQ.
Grandson looks like he's an up and comer.

Always interested in bullet performance and that kind of stuff. Any details?

Hey Roy...

Unfortunately this old hog was smelled so bad it was hard to even get close enough for the pictures. It was just one of those chances to rid the area of a major pain in the backside.

Normally with the boars unless they have been cut, we do not mess with them if they are much bigger than 100#. THis one was pushin 300 with no problems.

Now had it been a sow, that would have been different, they don't seem to attain the same funk level as the boars. It also depends on what they have been feeding on as well. Sometimes when we get them in the river bottoms and they have been rooting up the muck we will leave them as well. There are just too many here doing too much damage. They are our equivelent of a Prairie Dog or Groundhog. Nop natural predetion and breeding year round.

As for the bullets used, they were factory Remington green label 150gr core locks. Neither one made a complete penetration. Both however did, as have past one's, and excellant job of anchoring the big fellow on the spot. The first shot was a little back and caught the spine the second follow up was through the neck below the right ear.

Re: Hey Roy...

I have never shot a wild hog. How do they taste compared to ones that you would buy? I know that I can tell the difference between boar meat and gilt meat when they are bought hogs. I am just curious as to whether or not you would bar-b-que the hog or make sausage or something like that out of the meat.

Re: Cooking wild Hogs...

WEll most of the ones we get we have cut into steaks, or made into pork sausage, either link or pan. In my opinion it is much better than farm raised store bought pork and doesn't have near the fat content. Most wild hogs do have a lot of fat in the winter but this is usually on the top of the meat and is cut away. We gril it, fry it, smoke it, and do it just about any other way you can fix any other kind of meat.

With no limit on them and open season on them year round, day or night, you can see where one could fill up a freezer pretty fast. I put 7 in the freezer from Nov. through the end of Jan. So I am still pretty stocked up for the most part. However I cold most likly stick one or two mid sized 100 pounders in there if I had to.

If you ever get the chance to go hunt them, unless your specifically looking for a trophy mount, I would suggest picking out the mid sized ones or the sows. Either way they will eat better than the boar.

Thanks for the reply. I would not be looking a hog to eat. I would specifically be looking a trophy. That is why I was wondering the difference in taste. My family is in the hog business, we own a livestock market, so we get one just like we want to eat.

I hear you. A lot of folks around here trap them, then pen them up and feed them out on sweet corn for a month or so before butchering them. since I live two hours away from the nearest place I oculd do that, I prefer to take what the land and nature puts out for me to harvest.

The biggest problem around here is that there are so many and they move through areas tearing up just about anything they want too. Pasturelands, woods, peoples front yards, you name it they have been there. Heck even here in the semirural areas of the city they are reaking havok on some of the newer housing areas that have been built in and around the woods. Between them and the deer those folks are catching it from both sides. Course the funny part is how they all think how cute the deer are till they eat up their $10K flower beds. Then the hogs root up their yards. LOL But they don't want them killed, just trap them and move them to another area.

Check the link under my name there and look through some of the pics we have taken of some of the better ones we have gotten. The biggest so far are one we had to haul in with the back hoe we estimated at a little over 400, and the last one we got New Years that went 360#. These arean't the biggest we have seen just the biggest we have been able to put down so far.

Mike, what part of Texas do you live in? I'm near Fort Worth, but haven't had much luck finding hogs. I have killed two and seen others a few times. They seem to be mostly nocturnal in the places I have hunted. Could you share some suggestions on how/where to get access to hunt them?

Mike,

Brought one of my catahoula's from here in Idaho down to Conroe TX for a cattla/hog trial. Was fun. The hog dog trial was my first. After 4 dogs the score was hogs 4 dogs 0.

At another hog dog trial while penning the hogs prior to the start, one got away across the tracks under a moving train and into town. The chase was on. Heard a shot, local law enforcement, put it down. Not much later it was dressed out and hanging in a tree. Next day it was pretty good eatin'

Papa45,

Contact Amos Mann @ Two Diamond Catahoula's he knows some ranches north of Dallas/Fort Worth. Otta be able to wrangle a hunt out of them some kind of way.

I'd suggest long range shooting at them. I've watched the up close way and I'm not into that kind of stuff. What if I wore snake boots that went all the way to the crotch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Re: Hunting for wild Hogs...

Papa45,

I am in the Houston area but travel to Palestine and Madisonville area a lot. Our place is in Palestine.

I know that there are numerous areas to hunt up in that part of the country. You might try getting hold of the TP&W up there and see if they can shoot you any info on the Engling Reserve, just south of Corisicana. If thats not your bag check into the type 2 hunting as it opens up a lot of lands that are privite for hunting different critters as well as native game. As for finding a place to hunt the hogs specifically, just start checking around some of the feed stores in areas along the Trinity river or might try some of the local Coop's. There are always farmers wanting to rid the areas of hogs. As for the nocturnal aspect, you can legally hunt hogs with a spot light and high powered rifle as long as the local athorities and wardens know your doing so. All it has generally taken with us was a phone call. this is of course on leased or privite property with the landowners permission. IF that don't suit you, might look into one of the solor charged light kits that will fit on your deer feeder. Set out the feeder in a good area and feed them in for about two weeks or so. Then when they are used to the light, slip out there and give them heck. There was also a fellow up in the Fairfield area called Doc Well's if I am not mistaken, who was doing some limited hunting on his place. Might be something to look into.

Roy,

Glad you had a good time down this way, I know what you mean about the dogs and hogs. WE have hunted with some really good one's and some I wondered where they got the impressions that they would hunt at all. LOL

As for the up close work, that is what about 85% of ours is. Up close and personal. Close enough you feel the breath on your britches sometimes. LOL I do however carry the 41 mag with me on most every outing in the thick stuff. IF it isn't that and my SKS. Just depends on how thick the underbrush is . That ol Ruger will reach out and lay one down at 75 yds if I can do my part, and the SKS, well it is good for pack coverage. LOL

the place I help out with in the Madisonville area is pretty much river bottom right on the Trinity. The hogs have so many places to hiude that even with dogs you can't root them all out if you tried. The land owners and farmers in that area want the gone on sight. If you want them fine, if not fine, just as long as they are rid of them ruining the crops and pastures.

[ QUOTE ]
Still saving for something special, that will reach out with no doubts

[/ QUOTE ]

My vote for the ultimate 500 - 1100 yard hog gun on a budget: <ul type="square"> [*]Used Savage 7mm RUM [*]30" Heavy Lilja SS Barrel [*]Trigger Job [*]New synthetic stock [*]Leupold 4.5-14x50mm Scope [*] Richard Graves new 7mm ULD hunting bullets (not yet produced) [/list]

[ QUOTE ]
Still saving for something special, that will reach out with no doubts. Hint Hint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, I'll dream along with you guys.

From my tramping around in south Louisiana and east Texas and having respect for the hogs (they can getcha if they wish) here's what I would set up with first.

What I'd do first is upgrade the optics. I consider Mil-Dot reticle with the ret. in the first focal plane. That way ya don't have to do anything different when changing power. I'd put it on that 308 and learn to use it. Plus the ret. gets larger as power goes up which I find useful. And I bet if you could get better shot placement with your 308 at distances you'd see its performance go up. Then maybe you could convince us big bore fellas that smaller may do the job....

Now you have the scope. Next the rifle.

I don't think distances are going to be far enough to warrant ultra long range equipment. 600 yds may well be the maximum shot distance. But then again.....

I'd seriously consider a factory 338 Win or RUM which ever becomes available first at the best price. I'd recommend the Win first as they are less expensive to reload for, etc. Also the options are greater as everyone makes the 338Win and they all seem to work pretty fair.

Next before I ever shot it I'd add a good muzzle brake. I say this because with the long shots you're gonna be hunkerd down trying to get the shot unless you are out in the open but, to cover all situations I'd add the brake. A prone shot with a 338 is effective but not enjoyable in those Tee shirts ya'll wear down that way. (Down side is hearing protection for you and grandson - a must)

This whole deal is based on giving priority to the big bores. And would be a bit over doing on the little ones.

Just dreaming. If I ever got to go back down there and actually shoot at a hog, I'd probably bring my 270 Win with 27" Lilja and 169.5 Wildcat bullets which I haven't got yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Have some 140s comming too. Would bring the 375 H&amp;H also just to see how the bullets performed.

Hey Roy,

You're definitely right on with the tee shirts. LOL
344025473bIQehn_ph.jpg

I do have the above rig that does a fair job out quite a ways. It's a Sendero in 7mag topped with a 6.5 x 24 AO Burris. It holds a nice group just under 2" @ 300 yds with the Hornady 162gr BTSP's. Only problem is it isn't something you really want to do any quick shots with. Been there done that. Still got three but it was pretty hard. The little compact is just right to chunk in the truck and carry up to the country and if we head into the woods it does a GREAT job on moving critters as well as some which are just to dumb to run.

I just have come to grab the little guy during quick trips to the place. At 6.75# it is a dream to tote and being so short it goes through the woods on the rack on the 4 wheeler with no worries about vines and limbs.

I am working on putting away enough to talk Mr. Kirby into, or out of, one of his nice rigs myself. It might be in .270 or maybe something a little bigger. Definitely going to have a brake, and the grandson already has his own shooting protection. Got that for him last year right before hunting season.

As for distances, well our place you might be able to squeak out 600 yds on something but it would be hard. Now my friend's place, heck you can stretch one out about as far as you can positively identify what it is you're shooting at. They have 1500 acres with about 800 of it being cotton fields. Not sure just how far would be far enough but, it is already interesting at times when we catch a pack of hogs out there in the open. Plenty of practice goes on I "gar on teee".

Our range has targets out to a measured 300 yds, and is well used most of the time. This year however, I haven't been able to get much done for trying to pay down some of our overhead. Once we get back to a manageable level again, the loads will be worked up and things will hopefully be back in perspective for fall.

Ok, now I know a bit better where you are coming from.
You're about where I am. I almost bought one of Kirby's awhile back. He and I were jawing about a long range big game rifle. Kind of special built w/heavy bbl etc.

Once I decide to let loose of the bucks, I'm gonna send him my REM 700 LH in 338 Win and it'll come back a 270 AM how ever he wants to do it just so I can shoot it left handed.

I'll use the Ruger #1 375 for brushing elk and the AM for everything else. The 270 win which is a great shooter will go to my son who can still shoot right handed. Love those thumbhole stocks but can't go lefty with it.

You may want to wait till he gets his 7mm AM to where the 257 and 270 are. But I think that 270 AM w/the 170gr Wildcat moving at 3400 fps has got to be impressive. The 140gr out of the Win at 3200 with a lot less BC is pretty good.

I'd still consider a mil dot scope though. Betcha ya can't talk Kirby out of one of his Weavers. I've got a Cabela's 6.5X20 and a SuperSniper 10X both with mil dots and love them both.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.