Long Range Handgun Anyone?

I understand you guy's interest in longrangehunting. When I was younger there were many articles in the magazines about shooting deer waaay out in the soybean fields. Though I never had that experience, it primed me for long-distance shooting. Got married, had three boys, and never got around to it. I almost bought a single shot Remington XP100. Now I am into revolvers and semi-autos. Hope I am not too boring.

When I was younger and shot more I would put clay pigeons on a bluff to practice with my Colt 45acp. Distance was 100 yards. Back when Ruger first came out with the new p-85 it got shot regularly at 200 and 250 yards. I can't say I hit every shot at those distances but I can say the majority went where aimed. Now days it's mostly my 629 mountain gun in 44mag. When my son was growing up he never understood why I carry it so much. Now he just laughs and calls it my hand held rifle.

While the op stated 9mm, 45, etc (assuming straight wall), IF one wants to go beyond the more typical ranges of bullets styles used in revolvers and semiauto pistols, the single shot handguns can give extended range with the same straight wall cases, i.e. 30 carbine, 32/327 mag, 357, 41, 44, 45LC etc.

When using the Contender or others, the case can be loaded with spire/spitzer or long RN type bullets. I've loaded a lot of 30 cal 110 spires in 30 carbine, .358 150-180gr spires and 200gr seated long in the 357 mag and 357 Max for better BC and down range energy. In my 357 Herrett (not straight wall I know), I had good success with 200's seated out. The Hornady Flex Tip, FTX, really adds distance to bigger bores like 44 and 45.

Again, if your plans are to stay straight wall standard pistol/revolver cartridges, these are some options. If you want to really go longer range with pistols, the bottle necks or straight wall rifle cases (375 W) is where is it at. I love my 7mm's, 30 AI's and larger case 35's in the single shots.
Contender in 3006 and 300wm too. Quite the hand full.

I understand you guy's interest in longrangehunting. When I was younger there were many articles in the magazines about shooting deer waaay out in the soybean fields. Though I never had that experience, it primed me for long-distance shooting. Got married, had three boys, and never got around to it. I almost bought a single shot Remington XP100. Now I am into revolvers and semi-autos. Hope I am not too boring.
Not at all

Not boring at all! Very useful addition to the conversation.

How often do you have two people from northern NV agree in response to your posts?
I do not believe I have ever had two people from NV agree in response to anything I have ever posted. I am pretty much brand new at this posting thing. I am trying to walk gently and not dent any brass. Most of my stories are opinions and that can get dangerous. Shoot well, my new friend.

I've played around at longer ranges with 9mm, 10mm and 45 ACP pistols. It was all just for fun, but they did pretty well with a little practice.

I got a Glock 17 in a trade one time and decided to try it at 400 yards while sighting in some other guns. It took a couple of tries to get my drops figured out, but it would hold a 30" group at 400 yards with Winchester white box ammo when shot kneeling with shooting sticks. That's not great, but it's better than I expected. The Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm and Kimber 45acp both did better at around 24" groups at the same range with the same kneeling position. The S&W 610 revolver in 10mm did slightly better still. My ability to accurately hold a good POA with iron sights was the real limiting factor.

I wouldn't personally hunt with any of those chamberings much past 50 yards, but it made for some fun afternoons of plinking.

So what are the extended ranges or longer ranges (in yards) that you guys are shooting at with straight-wall cartridges? Are we grouping them on steel or paper, or just having fun hitting rocks and such?
It has been enjoyable seeing a number of different posters on this thread

I've played around at longer ranges with 9mm, 10mm and 45 ACP pistols. It was all just for fun, but they did pretty well with a little practice.

I got a Glock 17 in a trade one time and decided to try it at 400 yards while sighting in some other guns. It took a couple of tries to get my drops figured out, but it would hold a 30" group at 400 yards with Winchester white box ammo when shot kneeling with shooting sticks. That's not great, but it's better than I expected. The Dan Wesson Razorback 10mm and Kimber 45acp both did better at around 24" groups at the same range with the same kneeling position. The S&W 610 revolver in 10mm did slightly better still. My ability to accurately hold a good POA with iron sights was the real limiting factor.

I wouldn't personally hunt with any of those chamberings much past 50 yards, but it made for some fun afternoons of plinking.
yorke-1: I have a new 10mm Semi-auto that I intend to shoot hogs with. My new 10mm has a 6-inch bbl. My old 10mm is a carry pistol with a 3 1/2 inch bbl. Locked in a pistol vice, the short gun will shoot about two to three-inch groups at fifty yards. In my shaky old hands, I can hold a 6 in. group at 50 yds. My 6inch has a Trijicon RMR red dot sight and I am hoping to do better with the new sight and longer bbl. My longest kill to date was a hog at 100 yards with my S&W 460 shooting 535 gr. cast bullets. It was a sow weighing about 135 lbs and the bullet hit her in the neck and she barely shivered. I seriously doubt that I will attempt anything much farther than fifty yards because I like to kill them quickly and since I use the meat I don't like to shoulder shoot them. A shot behind the shoulders is sometimes all I have due to the brush, but I still prefer the neck shot. As you guys say, it kills them DRT. Or a Bang-Flop.

I wanted to leap in on this conversation. I have been mostly leaving my rifles in the truck for the past few years. I never looked at handgun hunting as a truly long-distance shooting proposition. I hunt in Texas, in the Piney Woods and the mesquite and cedar brush country where you can make long shots if you try, but a great portion of this country is custom-designed for closer range shots like bow hunting and black powder muzzleloader hunting. I have grown fond of shooting feral hogs with my pistols. I have both of S&W's big boys. My 500 S&W is short-barreled 5 inch, and my 460 has an 8 & 3/8s inch barrel with a Burris scope. I shoot heavy, lead cast bullets. Wild hogs here are a large problem and several of my neighbors allow me to hunt their property and I like making sausage with my kills. I like to sneak up on them, and 100 yards is a LONG shot for me. But that is still long-range hunting in my book.

I just bought and still have not shot a new Springfield Armory 6in. bbl longslide, 10mm, just to have fun with. I was supposed to go last week but my feet were too swollen and I missed that hunt, but I am going to try again this week. Hope I can send some pictures soon.
Treeslug; Let me know how your 10mm does for you ,I have one its with the RMR sight on it. Love hunting hogs with it :Good Luck

I killed a feral cat a couple of years ago with a .40s&w Glock at 100 yards. Does that count? At that distance, it was a complete pass thru.

I killed a feral cat a couple of years ago with a .40s&w Glock at 100 yards. Does that count? At that distance, it was a complete pass thru.
I once shot a BLACK feral cat at approx. 100 yards. (I am not superstitious) Shot the critter with my Mod. 29 S&W .44 mag with a 6 1/2 bbl. 240gr Sierra Hollow Cavity hand load w/24grs. 2400. Silverdollar exit wound. I will count your kill if you will count mine. Don't step on that crack.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts