long range hand loads for 300h&h and 7mm mag?

Rick Maxfield

need help to figure out the loads and drop of rounds out to 1000 for my 7mm 140gr.and bro's 300h&h. 150gr. any help would be greatly apprecated...Rick

Rick, for the 7rm I´d go at least with a 160 g such as an accubond or amax., BC is going to be higher.I´ll look for loads and drops and post them.

lots of free ballistic table on the WEB. But your charts are only as good as your information inputs. Without a chrono your only guessing.

I only shoot 175 BT's in 7 mm

I only shoot 190+ grain bt's 30 cal

The higher BC heavier bullet will be going faster than the light weight hot rod after 400 yards or so

I was concerned about bullet drop with a heavier bullet. I thought if I use a lighter bullet it would not drop as fast?

Look at the back of your light bullets, see if the little parachute is still attached /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Just kiddin...High BC bullets will FLY better past a certain distance, your light bullet may get to 300yds faster, but after that you will see the drop exceed the speed, like a parachute came out of the bullet and slowed it down. Like others have stated, go with a heavier high BC bullet, you woun't be disapointed. You will still have drop, but the high BC bullet will be more accurate at the longer distances, will also hold more energy for stopping power. Long ago i was a believer in the fast light bullets, for example, a 338-378wby shooting a 175grn barnes X bullet with a muzzel vel of 3600fps would hold a good group at 300yds, 750yds it was not so good and the bullet was falling fast. We changed the same gun to the 300MK bullet, slowed it to 2800fps, now it will shoot the same 1" group at 300yds, but at 1000yds it shoots a 10" group, we had a hard time even hitting the gong with the fast light bullets. Only way for most to understand this is to test it for yourself.

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.