long range gear/rifle suggestions

Russ M

i am new to long range shooting and i am looking for tips on gear and technique
i have a remington model 700 xcr chambered in .338 winmag (it came with remingtons new mark x trigger), leupold mark 4 8.5-25x50mm, leupold mark4 rings and bases, stoneridge pivot bi pod
i have on order a mcmillan a5 stock and a leuopold rxb-IV
i plan on geting a kestrel 4500 weather meter, a bushnell spoting scope (for cost reasons), and a tripod for the spoting scope
i was planing on shooting 225gr nosler accubond

my goal is to get reliable at 1000 yards
curently i can shoot 1' group off hand at 250 yards
i have also been practising with a 22 at about 50-100 yards
any tips or sugestions would be greatly appreciated

Not to offend here, but nobody shoots 1' groups offhand at 250 repeatably.

We'd need more info on what you are looking to do with your shooting...targets, hunting, max range to hunt, etc etc. That will make a difference.

.338 WinMag is usable though there are much better cartridges for most long-range applications.

just to make sure you understad what i was writing there that is 1 foot not 1 inch i have a 1 foot by 1 foot target that i put out there at 250 yrds and once i have sited in my rifle i can hit it off hand with out any trouble
i am not looking to be able to get past 250 yards off hand i think that is un reasonable what i would like to do is off of rests (such as a bi pod or the polecat tripod with tagalog arm if you don't know what that is it by stoneypiont)be cabable of moa groups to a 1000 yrds

sounds to me like you have a great starting point. Start by working up a load with some of the bullets others on the sight might recomend as I have no experience with the 338's. Bergers and the nosler accubonds tend to get high remarks. My rifles prefer either bergers or the Hornady interbonds with the exception of my .22-250, it loves the good old sierra SPBT. I do know that the latter test worked well for finding a sweet load on all of my rifles and would recommend you do a search on that as well. Quality equipment and QUALITY PRACTICE are very key in this sport. Reading tips and tecnique on this sight helped me a lot and I'm sure will do the same for anyone getting a start. As you shoot more you will find where you feel equipment upgrades are necessary.

Good luck in your adventure.

It's ladder not latter. A search for Creighton Audette and ladder test will provide tons of info. Basically you shoot loads of increasing charge and look for consecutive shots with similar POI.

Would look at trying to shoot the best BC bullet you could. Not that your going to be short on foot pounds of energy with a .338 but wind drift and slight erreres in distance will not be magnified so much if you wasn't to get it close to perfect when taking that could bore shot out to long distances.
I love practicing out to a 1000 yrds but shooting paper got old after I developed my drop data sheet. I have found it fun to shoot plow discs at ling range for a couple of reasons.
1. You know when or if the bullet hit it or not due to the loud sound reported back to you upon the impact.
2. Its not but the size of a basket ball which keeps a modest level of difficulty in hitting it, especially when judging wind at 1000 yrds.
3. It is hardend steel which my STW doesn't punch holes through or even bend.
4. If set up right with something solid for it to lean back on, you don't ever have to go and stand it up after you shoot. Just move to another distance and pop it again.
I spray paint mine either black or white so I can start all over with no bullet markings. I also make an X out of duck tap on the disc and shoot for the center of the X, not just the plow disc as a hole. I love pulling into the pasture and from some random long distance, stop and range it, dial the scop in for it and take a cold bore shot and here it slap, then go about your buisness. It really impresses the buddies to here it slap at over 900 yrds away. Heck they can't even see it with there naked eyes at that distance, but they can here it.
A good trigger is always helpfull and when weighing your powder I keep my powder consistency to a tenth of a grain because 1 grain of powder less at a thousand yrds means nothing gets reported back to me, or at least the day I tried it with one grain less powder I didn't hit it but could center line it with my standerd load.
Elevate your target so you can see it clearly at long distances but have a good back stop. I have mine half way up on the side of a steep hill. However it is very accessible to the target so as to repaint it all the time.
Have fun and make a game out of it. It really gets fun then.

Good luck shooting 1 MOA at 1000 yards with the Stoneypoint Polecat Tripod with tagalong arm. I can't even manage to shoot 1 MOA with it at 100 yards... maybe thats just a personal problem though. I did manage to make a great shot on an elk at 760 yards with the Polecat Tripod this year.

Don't get me wrong, for the cost and weight, I haven't been able to find anything better that can elevate you above sagebrush and tall grass. If you put the legs all the way out, it can also make an acceptable walking stick (if you are under 5'11"). I love the tripod for coyote hunting at it leaves the rifle in a ready position with both hands free.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.