long range elk pistol question

coloradoultramag

I am new to the long range pistol game. I hunt deep in roadless areas so a lightweight 7wssm shooting a 168 berger might be a good setup. Much of my shooting is 400 to 600 yards is that too far for a specialty pistol as far as knock down power? I do have a nightforce nxs 5-22 but I don't know if it would work on a pistol?

What does a striker or a remington with a 17inch barrel weigh not counting scope?

What speed could a 7wsm shot a 168vld?

What is a striker or remmy going to cost?

Would you guys recomend a different gun or a different caliber?

Is there a faster 7mm that would give me more range?

The encores don't have the guts to handle the 7wsm or similar cartridges does it?

Would I have to go semi custom or full custom to make the above gun?

Thanks for all the advice and stories on this forum, Gabe

I'm not a expert in this field but i can give you some ans to some questions. You need to figure about 200-300fps less than what a rifle will get in your pistol caliber. I dont think the 7wssm would be the best for this rig, more like a 7wsm or 7 Dakota. 18" barrel to give better results. You will have to go with a custom rig or some kind of re build to get what your looking for. I would go with a custom and get exactly what you want the first time. Depending on barrel contour is where the weight will vary. I'm sure some of the others will chime in on what their rigs weigh.
My 30BTAC varmint pistol is 14# with a Nightforce 8-32x scope, so that ans your other question,
yes the 5-22 would be a fine scope for your build. My pistol is set up for bench or prone shooting, not carrying around the woods. I have a 20" barrel on mine.

In my opinion I would go with a bigger bore than the 7mm. When dealing with short barrels you want to maximize efficiency. I have a 338wsm and have never regretted it. I have the utmost confidence that it will get the job done. It's not for the recoil shy, but it doesn't bother me. I do use a rifle scope on it, but it is a forward grip design so getting up to the scope is not a problem.

As far as the question of "would you guys recommend a different gun?" I think you need to figure out if you would benefit from being able to completely fit your pistol in your pack because to me that is the real practical advantage to the long range pistol. I made mine so that I can stow it away and be protected when climbing or biking or skiing. For most people I think is it more of a "cool factor" item and a light weight short barrel rifle is really a more practical gun. I know that when hunting in the forest and I might jump something that I can pull up and get a better shot off faster with my rifle then my long range pistol. So that my be something for you to think about.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
I have a 7-270 WSM that was built by Kirby Allen here. It's an XP-100 with a 7-twist Pac-Nor 17" barrel. I originally had an older H-S Precision center grip stock on it, but replaced that awhile back with the McMillan center grip since the bullet i use was tearing the older HS stock apart (200 gr. ULD Wildcat). It was a good move on my part as this rig is a bit more streamlined now and will fit into a pack just fine. I've only taken 1 species of big game with this rig and that was a 360-yd. buck, and it worked just fine. I'm getting 2525 mv out of the Wildcat. I have the Burris 3-12x EER optic on it with Ball. Plex reticle and elevation turret only. I use this optic due to it's small profile--important for me as a backpack hunter. I've been working recently with Bill Roque at Bullz-Eye Pro, and he's come up with a tight slip-on power booster for this optic that i REALLY like. It increases the magnification about 35% (now basically a 4-16x), and makes the reticle much easier to apply in the field. Most importantly the eye relief is a much more manageable 6-7"--perfect for a muzzle-breaked big cartridge handgun.

I consider my max. range with this rig right between 500-600 yds. on elk-sized game using the 200 Wildcat.

Partner XPhunter here is using a 7mm Dakota and that is an excellent rig for 500-600+ yd. shots on elk with the 200 Wildcat. Henson's bullets might work very well also--that's something i haven't looked into, but will be soon.

I've got a 17.5'' 7wsm and im pushing a 168smk @ 2850. I plan to easily break 2900 this weekend! I also will be trying out the 168 and 180 bergers and some 176 cauterucio's this summer. my pistol also weighs right around 11lbs + bi-pod. it has worked perfectly out to 460 yards on an antelope, I'm looking forward to testing it out on a muley this fall :)

Last edited:
I got my Savage Target pistol in 338 WSM for AK bear or elk out west. But if you want something lighter my favorite hunting pistol is an MOA Maximum. Mine is in a 7 Sundance, 376 Steyr necked down. I'm getting almost as much as my son's 7 wsm Savage.
Here is the lope I took at 740 yds with Steve and Ernie a couple of years ago.
SecondRichBartmanAntelopeHunt200714.jpg

I am new to the long range pistol game. I hunt deep in roadless areas so a lightweight 7wssm shooting a 168 berger might be a good setup. Much of my shooting is 400 to 600 yards is that too far for a specialty pistol as far as knock down power? I do have a nightforce nxs 5-22 but I don't know if it would work on a pistol?
What does a striker or a remington with a 17inch barrel weigh not counting scope?
What speed could a 7wsm shot a 168vld?
What is a striker or remmy going to cost?
Would you guys recomend a different gun or a different caliber?
Is there a faster 7mm that would give me more range?
The encores don't have the guts to handle the 7wsm or similar cartridges does it?
Would I have to go semi custom or full custom to make the above gun?
Thanks for all the advice and stories on this forum, Gabe

Gabe,
The 5-22 will work fine but for a pure hunting scope the 3.5-15/4.5-14 class scopes would be perfect. I would use what you have.
400-600 yards is very doable with the 7mmWSM and of course the 7mm Dakota or the 300 WSM or the 300 Dakota.
Get a great solid bottomed brake.
I have shot quite a few elk with the 7mm (284 Win XP-100) with 140 Partitions out to 540 yards-back in the day. I wouldn't use that bullet today but I wouldn't hesitate to use a 7WSM for the distances you mentioned.

The only thing that I would really emphasis from what all the others have said is be sure to get a fast twist and shoot the heaviest bullets you can. You need to retain that energy. Also be sure to run your load across a chrony. You really want to know how fast it is going so you can keep it super sonic at the limit of the range you are shooting. My limit for hunting is 400 yards with a 260 Rem on deer. And that is only if the conditions are perfect. 300 yards most of the time. As a brief aside Hi guys. Slim

I have a XP-100 in 300 Dakota that I hope one day to shoot an Elk with and plan on a Mulie this fall. I shoot 185gr Berger's and there running 2900fps or so from a 16.5" barrel. I'm in the process of working the load I'm going to hunt with now. I also have an XP in 7.21 Lazzeroni that I shoot 168gr Berger's at 2850fps also from a 16.5" barrel. I took a Buck Lope at 440yd's last year with it. I shoot the 3x12 Burris with Bal Plex reticle and I would shoot out to 600yd's with the right condition's. Me and Ernie and sscoyote went to the range in Casper last year and I shot from my bipod prone 3 shots at 600yd's that measured 6.75 inches. These short rifles are capable of longer distances than most people would think. There not that far off from rifle velocities with the round's mentioned above. Good luck with whatever you decide, ask a lot of question's and enjoy the insanity it's an awesome hobby.

One issue that is important for all LR shooting but may be more noticeable using specialty handguns is impact velocity. The accuracy of specialty handguns can give one the ability to out shoot the bullets ability to perform well. Each bullet has a minimum velocity that the manufacturer has given and I would encourage to follow those guidelines. If you are shooting paper, steel, or prairie dogs it is not an issue what the impact velocity is, but game is different.

Thanks for all the advice.

What do you guys think that a 7WSM OR 300 WSM would weigh if I built it on the lite side?

I agree on the minimum speed needed to open up a bullet I think the berger vld's need 1800fps.

By the way I shoot my edge(rifle) acurately to 1000yards and it was fun?

Thanks Gabe

My primary elk SP is a 325 WSM, it is the HSP 2000P single shot ( looks like a XP). My back up is a 300 WSM HSP. Both wear 3.5X15 NXS withe the NPR-1 reticle. With the brake i can get just about full field of view with these scopes. I have the 5.5X22 NXS on a few other SP's and they work great. The 325 sends a 180 gr BT out the end of the barrel (15" + brake) at just over 2750 FPS and the 300 WSM sends the 165 BT at over 2830 FPS. I hope to use them on an over the counter tag ( depredation hunt) this december and hopefully next season on a draw tag in AZ.
nmhunter

I agree with what the others are saying.
My 7 SAUM has a 17 inch barrel with Defensive Edge brake and I drive 140's to just over 3K fps, which is about what you will do with a 7 WSM.
For the larger game such as Elk, I would stick with the heavier bullets like has been suggested.
My gun weighs in around 10 pounds +/- without bipod.

My .338 WSM is more portable with a 15 inch barrel (about the same weight) and will push 200 grain AB's to 2725 fps and 180's to 2850 fps. I would feel safe shooting an Elk out to 275 yards or so, maybe 300 max (due to bullet performance).

Lately for long range (400 - 800 yards or beyond) I am going with longer barrels of at least 20 inches. It's the only way I know to keep my velocity up and wind deflection down.

I'm currently having my xp 100 in 7 Dakota rebarreled with a 25 inch tube to send 180 Bergers at 2950 or more.
I might be able to do it with a 23 inch barrel but will start at 25 (can cut but can't stretch it).

I think any scope of your liking that will max out at 15-20X will be more than adequate.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts