Long Range Elk Hunting

Well this Nov. I finally got to try my hand at a good bull (340 B&C) at long range. I was hunting in Idaho were they have a 16# weight limit on rifles. I decided to take a 7mm Rem Mag w/ a 26" .750 muzzle Dia. I had put the barrel on in '77 and had not fired the rifle since '88. I restocked it, adjusted the Canjar set trigger. I put a Nightforce 5.5-22 w/ rr-2 reticule on it. The barrel has a 1 in 10", I had trouble getting it to shoot the heavier bullets. I tried the 160 gr. Accubond that I molied with IMR 7828. Shot several 1" groups at 200yds in the pasture out back. Ran a ballistic table, and verified by live fire. Spent 3 weeks on building the rifle and testing loads. Headed to Idaho where my outfitter met me and a hunting buddy. The first morning out, within 2 hours of daylight I was on 2 bulls, bedded down at 20yds. One was a five point and the other was larger bodied, but didn't get to see his headpiece. The next morning we went to a different area, where it was more open. The outfitter was bugling and cow calling. We got an answer across on the next ridge. We finally spotted him. I started ranging w/ the Lieca RF1200. He was 983 when we first observed him. He went into the timber, the over the top to the drainage farter away. My outfitter and his guide bugled and cow called and brought him back on our side of the ridge. He was in and out of the timber until at last he entered a small opening at 787 yards. I dialed up the Nightforce and squeezed the trigger. Both the outfitter and his guide heard the bullet hit home, and the bull stumbled, but made it into the timber 10 yds away. We waited on pins and needlies to see if he was down or might reappear. My outfitter, Mike Richie and guide James, along with my hunting buddy Casey crossed over to the bull. I waited behind my rifle until they got to the bull, and yelled he was dead. I was very happy all had gone well, as the 7mm at that range was down to 1750 fps and only about 1100 FT/Lbs. The one shot had done the trick and the magnifacent bull was mine. Two days later my partner score on a 6 x 7 bull also at about 100yds. Almost any range can be seen in the Selway Wilderness. This hunt was a dream of mine for several years, as I have been shotting antelope at longer ranges each year in Wy. The farthest so far is a 1205 Yds kill year before last. I normally use a .338/416 Rigby imp w/ a 34" Lilja barrel. It has plently of power of the longer shots I think. The Nosler Accubond performed great. It enpanded to about .40 cal and retainded 153 grains of weight from it orginal 160. It had pentrated through a rib and was just under the hide on the off side. I will post some pic's of the bullet and the country, but for now just a picture of the bull and my outfitter. If you want to get into some longer range shotting, he offers spring bear hunts as well as the fall elk, deer, and black bear hunts. I think the Selway is one of the last good places to hunt. Little pressure and a good amout of quality game. Mike and his wife Dawn run a great operation with a first class camp, stock, and help. Give'm a call if the urge hits you. Most of his openning are filled with repeat hunters, but he might can fit in a few more. His Number is 208-756-3231.
Good shooting and GOD bless,
338 Nemesis

Ronnie, the selway is a great place but I bet you had horses I have hunted up there for about 5 years and my father in law has been there for 27 year in a row. We haven't been back there for 3 years. Were you in the camp by paridise. and if you were what area did you hunt, like bad luck or cooper flat. Idaho Preacher

Idaho Preacher,
We flew into Moose Creek airstrip and met there by the outfitter. Yes you need horse's to go very far or pack an elk down to the strip. The outfitter I hunted with operates out of Moose Creek and has a large area. Give him a call. His # is on my first post.
Good Hunting
338 Nemesis

Congrats Ronnie on the successful Idaho elk hunt. Sounds like a good time was had by all. Just out of curiousity, was there much wolf activity in the areas you were hunting?

WILEY,
THERE ARE WOLVES THERE. WE DID NOT SEE OR HEAR THEM THIS FALL. IN THE SPRING WE DID HEAR THEM SEVERAL TIMES. I THINK TOO MANY DOGOODERS WHO WILL NEVER VENTURE INTO THE WILDERNESS, THINK THAT WOLVES AND GRIZZLIES NEED TO BE THERE. I HOPE THAT THE GOVERMENT WILL ALLOW THE STATES TO LIST THE WOLVES AS BIG GAME ANIMALS ALLOWING A SEASON TO BE SET. THIS WILL AT LEAST HELP CONTROL THIER NUMBER, AS WELL AS MAKE THE STATES WHO BEAR THE BURDEN OF HAVING THEM THERE REAP SOME BENEFITS, AS WELL AS OUTFITTERS WHO HAVE TO ENDURE HAVING OTHER GAME ANIMALS AND THIER STOCK BOTHERED RECIEVE SOME EXTRA INCOME.
GOOD HUNTING AND SHOOTING
338 NEMESIS

Amen to that Ronnie. Since they re-introduced wolves into Yellowstone, the wolves have decimated the Northern Yellowstone elk herd. I have been talking to a park ranger who lives nearby and he said that at the time the wolves were released the northern herd numbered about 2200. The last estimate he's seen now puts the number at between 1000 and 1100. The wolves are not predated upon by anyone or anything and their population is exploding. The elk have no defense against the wolves. It's like introducing a mutated strain of the bird flu in humans. The elk started staying nearer to the human habitations for protection but even that didn't work. My friend, the park ranger, told me that one morning he got to work and found what was left of an elk that had been killed by wolves on the steps of the main restaurant at Mammoth Hot Springs. They had to hurry to clean up the gore so the tourists wouldn't be shocked by it. I agree that the wolf should be listed as a game animal and have a hunting season for it. The do-gooders have gone and done it this time! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.