Long Range Elk Gun

treillw

I'm looking to get a long range rifle for elk. At this point I'm not too worried about the caliber, I just want to concentrate on the rifle make and model itself. The caliber is another discussion in itself. I want it to be a higher end rifle that will shoot awesome. I'd like to be able to shoot 700+ yards, depending on what I'm able to do with the rifle. I'm willing to spend a good amount of money to get something that I will be able to use and love for the rest of my life ($6K +\-).

I've got a few ideas so far and would appreciate other ideas and any advice on how to make the decision.

1. Custom built rifle from a local smith (Live in PA) - kind of worries me that I may get a lemon and that they actually know what they are doing.
2. Gunwerks LR1000 - they have a reputation for building rifles that work and getting one would eliminate my fear of getting something that I won't be able to get to shoot right. Their package cost is pretty pricey though - I think around $8k till all is said and done.
3. Remington Sendero, sako, or something similar and sending it to Gunwerks to have them do some accurizing.
4. Christensen arms - seems like they make good guns.

For shooting such a far distance, I would probably feel more comfortable taking the gun to somebody to have them setup the scope. I've done it in the past for my deer rifle that I hardly shoot 100 yards with, but I don't know a ton about putting them together and want to make sure it's done right.

Thanks!

IMO The 338-378 weatherby is one hell of an elk gun very accurate high quality well built rifle which you can pick up for about 1900 just the rifle ammunition is pretty expensive unless you reload which brass still costs an arm and a leg.gun) you are going to get a lot of better responses than mine I just thought I would say something I'm pretty new on here

Saw an interesting stat yesterday on a hunting show........90% of all ELK killed are taken within 300 yards or less.

With that said, there are a number of great smiths that can you build you a reliable LR rifle..........I just had 300 WM built by Benchmark Barrels (#2 competition barrels behind Bartlien, with many world records to their name). Other smiths include GAP Precision, SAC, etc........tons of reputable smiths......just do your homework to avoid a lemon smith.

w, if your elk hunt is this fall none of your ideas listed are an option since they all have months wait time. Also there is break in and load development time for some of your choices. If your local smith is reputable and your hunt is next fall, that looks to be a good choice. The Montour rifles are well known. Good luck

If your wanting a once in a lifetime gun all setup with scope, etc. I would look at Lane Precision. They make excellent rifles. They will scope it, work up a load for it, verify it to 1000 yards. It may sound somewhat expensive, but you are talking custom actions, top of the line cut rifle barrels, and a verified long range shooter with a known working load to boot. Unless you are experienced reloader and long range shooter, developing a load for a long range rifle can get to be a time consuming, and spendy proposition all on its own. But again, that's all part of the fun, I guess. A turn key system from Lane Precision would be a dream rifle though.

Complete scope mount and validation out to 1000 yards

I have had great luck with the Sendero's in RUM. Put many of them online with great success.
As someone mentioned, might be best to contact someone like Dallas at Lanes Precisoin if time constraints and reloading abilities/cost are a factor so close to the hunting season.
Good luck
I'm looking to get a long range rifle for elk. At this point I'm not too worried about the caliber, I just want to concentrate on the rifle make and model itself. The caliber is another discussion in itself. I want it to be a higher end rifle that will shoot awesome. I'd like to be able to shoot 700+ yards, depending on what I'm able to do with the rifle. I'm willing to spend a good amount of money to get something that I will be able to use and love for the rest of my life ($6K +\-).

I've got a few ideas so far and would appreciate other ideas and any advice on how to make the decision.

1. Custom built rifle from a local smith (Live in PA) - kind of worries me that I may get a lemon and that they actually know what they are doing.
2. Gunwerks LR1000 - they have a reputation for building rifles that work and getting one would eliminate my fear of getting something that I won't be able to get to shoot right. Their package cost is pretty pricey though - I think around $8k till all is said and done.
3. Remington Sendero, sako, or something similar and sending it to Gunwerks to have them do some accurizing.
4. Christensen arms - seems like they make good guns.

For shooting such a far distance, I would probably feel more comfortable taking the gun to somebody to have them setup the scope. I've done it in the past for my deer rifle that I hardly shoot 100 yards with, but I don't know a ton about putting them together and want to make sure it's done right.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm slowly starting to make my way through them. The Lane rifles look awesome cosmetically.

I do not plan on using the rifle this season - no hunt planned yet. Plenty of time!

Keep the suggestions coming :D

Side thought: how hard is it to mount a scope for a long range gun?

With the amount of money you are willing to spend go all custom you won't regret it. I have had customs built off rem 700 and they shot great and had no complaints. However I just got my first full custom built off a defiance action and it amazing. The gun isn't anymore accurate but you can just "feel" the quality of it. I love it and my rem 700 customs will never feel tge same again. The only smith I have substantial expierence with is Travis at rbros rifles. He built amazing rifles. He guarantees all builds has load data for all builds and will sell a turn key setup scope n all. You can't lose going with him. I just shot a one hole 3 shot group with my new rifle from him the other day. Regardless of what smith you use research them and vet them. Lots of smith's have guarantees now, there are lots of wannabe smith's out there.

Definitely check out Len's LR rifles on this site. As for scope mounting, it is a fairly straightforward task, as long as you attend to the details. The rifle needs to be held level while you work on it, the base and rings need proper torque (the tools are not horribly expensive) and you need a reference to level the scope while you tighten it down. Depending upon which scope, you can place a level on the top of the elevation turret (if flat surfaced), you can place a reference line across the room and line up the reticle while looking through the scope. I do both of those things, and also use a tool from EXD engineering to ensure the scope is actually centered above the bore of the rifle. Before you remove the rifle and scope from your work bench, go ahead and mount an anti-cant level of your choice on it and calibrate it. Now you're good to go.

Do you reload your own ammo? If so I would go with a big 338 of some kind. I know you said caliber decision will come later, but a 338-378 Weatherby, 338 Lapua, or Lapua Improved will all require a larger than standard action. If you don't reload I would go with one of the RUM chamberings, 300 Win Mag, or 300 Norma Mag. Those can be had in a regular magnum length action.

Kinda depends on how heavy of a barrel and stock you want, but here are a few options I'd consider:

Weatherby Accumark in 338-378, have a gunsmith bed and do trigger job. Alternatively, a Sendero 300 RUM or Rem 5R 300 Win and have the same work done.

One of Len's rifles: Best Long Range Hunting Rifles - Ready To Ship

Cooper rifles are ready to ship from a number of dealers. You're limited to the standard magnum chamberings here.

Hill Country Rifles has quite a few custom guns ready to ship.

APS Rifles is well known for quality but usually has a long lead time.

Find a good local gunsmith and have him build you one.

Watch the classifieds on this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.