Long range deer hunting video

G

When Boyd cam over yesterday to hunt "chucks" he brought along a copy of the Long Range deer hunting video - shot in the mountains of PA. I watched it last night. I loved it.

Other then the fantastic shots I truly enjoyed all the SNICKERING by the camera man taping one of the guys gutting out a deer. Did that guy - gutting out the deer - actually puke? My daughter came into the living room wondering why I was laughing so much.

We all have to have our FIRST time gutting sometime.
grin.gif

Don
smile.gif

Don'what are you doing the weekend of the 10th?Just talked to Butch today and he really want's to come up....He has a 270WSM he'd like to try...And I'd like to kill a few more myself....Id really like to see what those gun's of your's will do......Let me know.......
grin.gif

Boyd,

The weekend of the 10th is fine by me. I will continue to watch those unharvested oat fields and let you know when they are cut. Plus once cut, Dave and myself will walk them to see how many active holes there are. We will also check to see if there are any hay fields that will be cut close to the 10th at other farms that we have hunted in the past. As you saw yourself the beans are now to high to hunt.

As far as how our guns work, last I checked, they worked just fine
smile.gif

By 7pm tonight we will be in that harvested oat field "killing" chucks using my Purple rifle
smile.gif

I have 46 rounds all loaded and ready to go so we are all set - again.

So far it is looking good for this Saturday. I have a round table meeting/discussion with the Governor's aide this Weds (updated from Thursday) and I have a meeting in Cleveland on Thursday, updated from Friday. I am trying to get all my ducks in a row so we can leave early Sat morning to drive over.

Don
smile.gif

Don,August 10th it is......Don't shoot them all before we get there.....Get your gun ready for this weekend.Is Dave gonna shoot?..You guy's will get a chance to meet Darryl.....I know you will post it any way....But do you have 100 yet....Have a good one....
grin.gif
........P.S. Don't you mean (chuck's in a row)????????
wink.gif

[ 07-29-2002: Message edited by: Boyd Heaton ]

Boyd,

Dave is not going to shoot this Saturday, only me. He will be going along if for nothing else to poke fun at me,
smile.gif

Nope, don't have 100,,,,,,,,,yet. Saw one along the drainage ditch tonight at 435 yards. I held 2" to the right and centered it on elevation. I adjusted 3" high (at 100). The chuck was standing up, looking directly at us, we had winds upwards of 20 MPH with gusts. When I shot it went down instantly. I asked Dave, he said, it went down but he couldn't see anything other then that. A few seconds later he saw its tail wagging. We figured it was hit.

A rather large cluster of very dark clouds where rolling in off the lake and I decided, thats enough of that, so we packed up. We drove along the ditch, and found the teeny tiny chuck on the ground. It couldn't of weighed more then 2 or 3lbs. The bullet entered just below its left shoulder and blew a 1 1/2" hole out just below the back of its head. The hit was about 2" high but I pegged the windage pretty close. This chuck (when standing) wasn't more then 3" wide.

So we are now at 97, which equals the best year we have ever had.......and it isn't over yet,
smile.gif

While we were set-up we had one guy stop (that used to own the butcher shop across from my house). He got out of his truck, addressed me (since he knew who I was) and asked if we can shoot the chucks behind the butcher shop and he is going to brush hog the weeds down behind his house and said: As soon as I mow the weeds you are welcome to go in and kill the chucks. His house is only about a mile from that oat field you hunted last Saturday. Shooting behind his house would work good for the 4 of us since there is nothing behind his place except woods. No houses or other buildings to concern oursleves with. I hope he cuts before July 10th. If not we will locate other fields to hunt before you 2 come up.

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

I can't wait.......Maybe we will all get to shoot some on the 10th......Butch said he is gonna bring the un-edited verison of the guy loosing his lunch while gutting that deer......
grin.gif
.......See you on the 3rd....Good shooting on that hog......I'm hooked now.....I have a few trick's up my sleeve for the 10th...The chuck's are in BIG TROUBLE....
wink.gif

Boyd,

The next time you come up bring Butch with you. I am sure you guys can get a lot of good video, afterall we do have a "few" chucks around,
grin.gif

Dave and myself are going to try to get some deer kills on video. Now all we need is a video camera. What are you doing during deer season? hint hint
smile.gif

The "condo" is plenty large enough to set up a camera and the shooting bench.

Don
smile.gif

Boyd,

The un-edited version will be fun to watch, LMAO

Just bring the gun that shoots the flatest and most accurate and you are very familiar with. As you saw last Saturday, flatness means a lot. It is sometimes difficult to obtain the distance since the ground is so flat. SPEED of that bullet makes a HUGE difference, as you saw first hand. If we are off by 50 yards on the distance we still kill the "chuck" because the bullet is shooting so flat. When shooting a round that drops 6" every 50 yards it could net a miss. Bring your 22-250 along, providing you have all the "drops" worked out.

If it doesn't decide to rain and lightning tonight, we will be back out to that harvested oat field tonight. As we all saw there are still "chucks" to be killed there.

Dave and I are both looking forward to comming down to Williamsport this weekend. By the way, do you guys have a large pot whereby you can boil some water at the club? I have about 5lbs of smoked deer sausage that I will bring along and some buns - good eating
smile.gif

Put some steamed onions and green peppers on and it makes a good samich
smile.gif

Have a good one,

Don
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.