Long range deer bear combo hunt

I thought the same thing but we were both wrong in this thinking according to the ballistics app I ran. The 180gr 7mm bullet with the extra velocity hits harder from start to finish out to 1k.
The 7mm carries more energy, sure... but the extra diameter of the 300 is significant in the real world, even if it's not the case in theory.

I'd take the 300 WinMag for black bear, not so much for killing power as both rifles will have more than enough energy to get the job done. I'd prefer the WinMag for bear to get the largest thru and thru hole that I can make in the animal for tracking purposes if need be. With the long hair a bear does not bleed much as a deer, with a thru and thru hole you have two places where it will be bleeding from. I hunt black bear, but the shots are not long shots, I use either a 35 Whelen (Barnes 225gr TSX), .358 Winchester (Barnes 200gr TTSX)or a 45-70 (Barnes TSX FB hollow point). Just curious when you say "long range" what do you consider to be long range?
Wouldn't the longer 7mm bullet have the potential for a larger Mushroom and exit hole being .05 longer and only about .02 less in diameter.

Wouldn't the longer 7mm bullet have the potential for a larger Mushroom and exit hole being .05 longer and only about .02 less in diameter.

I really do not know. What I do know is that the 7mm bullet is .284 thousandths and the .30 caliber bullet is .308 thousandths of an inch which is larger then .284 bullet, although minimal there's still a difference of .028 thousandths of an inch. As to the mushroom effect each bullet would have, I have to say that I do not know because I have never harvested either animals discussed in the OP. As I originally wrote my preference is a larger caliber bullet for black bear hunting. Berger has a good reputation for performance, I have read mixed reviews on this forum for performance on the ALBR bullets. Personally I would use Barnes bullets in either caliber, only because I know there will be a thru-and-thru wound channel, not so sure about what the other bullets will do. I chose the .300 WinMag for two reasons, (1) the larger bullet diameter, and (2) because of the shorter barrel length. This is one of those threads where is the Ford better than my Chevy, or is my Chevy better than your Dodge?? Both cartridges ought to have enough energy and long range capabilities to get the job done on both the deer and the black bear; at least that has been my experience. The first bear that I shot was with a 30-06 and a Barnes 180gr TSX, it was a shot that I wouldn't brag about but it was what it was; and....there was a lot of tracking that had to be done and no blood trail to do it with. That bear went about a 100 yards in a thick blueberry patch on a mossy ground floor, the only blood was from the leafs that had smeared blood on them from the bear's thick hair. The last bears that I shot were with the 35 Whelen, .358 Winchester and a 45-70, all boom-flop and no tracking involved at all.

you may not get an exit hole with the berger all depends on velocity at impact and impact point the accubond does not guarantee an exit hole but I believe it would have a better chance than the berger

Depends on terrain. All else being equal, I'd likely pick the 300 WM. I simply like the bullet better for bear, but that's my opinion based solely on my experiences. Never shot one at long range. Like the Berger better for deer.

There's .024 thousands of an inch difference. I don't know of too many big game hunters who rely on a bullet tumbling in an animal, and.....there's no guarantee that the bullet "will" tumble. Bullets are designed to penetrate and expand. As I stated in a previous reply either rifle would get the job done, for black bear you want/need the largest "thru-and-thru" hole that you can make in a bear for tracking purposes so would select the .300WinMag. I've read on this forum where people have stated that they have shot black bear with a .243 Winchester and "that" bear dropped right where it was shot. It has been my experience that black bear are resilient and can/will take a bullet and run. My last bear was shot with a Barnes TSX FB 300gr hollow point bullet at 60 yards out of a 45-70. The shot was broadside and slightly quartering, entered three-inches behind the front shoulder and taking out the last two ribs on the other side about 2800 foot pounds of energy. The bear turned and walked away about 15 yards fell, then tried to get up three times before I shot it again. Five days before that my sun shot a bear with a bear with a 35 Whelen shooting a 225gr Barnes TSX running about 2700fps. He was in a tree stand, the shot entered about 4 inches behind the left shoulder and exited in about the same area on the opposite side. That bear ran between 20-30 yards before it died. That bear was easy to track due to the blood trail. The entry hole was as big as a quarter and the exit hole was twice that size; he took the heart out with the shot. Take whatever rifle that you want in my opinion they will/ought to get the job done, but please don't plan on that/any bullet tumbling to get the job done. I also asked in a previous reply what your definition of "long-range" was?

I love a wildcat round, but have learned from experience, when you travel, certainly by air, you take a gun that is chambered in a VERY popular round. In the air, rounds can't be packaged with the gun for safety reasons, and ammo seems to get lost. EVERY gun store in the world has 300 WM, maybe not the load you shoot, but they have something that will make your gun go bang. With a Wildcat or not as popular a cartridge, you have an expensive club.

The 300 Win. With a nod to the Nosler ABLR. We just killed some elk with them in a 308 win, 06', and a 7 RM, shots were 50 yds to 400 yds. Most exited and left good blood trails but they all dropped in sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.