Long Range Dangerous Game?

jwp475, thanks for weighing in on this subject. Bear with a pistol sounds awesome! I'd jump one with my bow, but I'm running out of lives! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

It seems that when I was younger I always wanted to do it at shorter ranges. As I've matured, I take what I can get, where I can get it, and usually do it at longer ranges. The older I get the longer I get though! Thats not a bad thing...

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Chris Mathews, and I'm all but convinced that my next long range rig will likely be a .338 Lapua Magnum. The obvious reasons are like you said, better ballistics performance in .338(bullets with a higher B.C.) at ranges out to 1000 yds.

In the mean time, my .375 RUM will give'm hell closer in, say under 500 - 600 yds!

CG

CEG
First thing is "Thank You"
Second thing is that I have never hunted bear, and am a mid-range deer shooter.
Third thing is that one of my Amish friends used to guide bear hunts in AK (Kodiak Island?), and he always said that he prefered a client that used a 30-06/300WM class rifle and could handle a 2-300yd shot over some guy with a "Mega-Magnum" that was so afraid of the recoil that he couldn't hit a 5 gal pail at 25yd. BTW, he used a 375H&H for his "stopper" rifle.
Point being that if your proficiant with your weapon your further ahead than someone that's over gunned, regardless of the range involved.
Good luck, and have fun hunting in AK.

This is a somewhat controvercial subject as can be seen by the diversity of opinions expressed. Appreciate that everyone has been respectful and civil, that is how we do things here and it works.

In a small way I have been trying to learn a bit about the taking of potentially dangerous game (black bears) at significantly longer distances than I am accustomed to. Killed two this spring, one at 283 and one at 305. Shot placement made for one shot kills, first was not where I wanted tho and he traveled twenty yards, did his final bawling and it was done. Second was dead before he hit the ground, bullet hit within an inch of where I aimed. Shot placement and knowledge of where to put the bullet is everything.

One other very significant factor is involved - and I am in a learning curve here. The bears look unusually big from a distance, this is an experience thing but something that I have to master. We have been using 8x binocs, not good enough. You really need a spotting scope and a bit of time to get a good look at body mass, spread between the ears, lankiness, etc. I have looked at a lot of bears in my time and know what to look for but all of that was up close. Different situation looking through a pair of 8x42's or even my 15 power scope. Totally doable but plan on building up some experience at field estimation, it is different and not as easy as I thought it would be.

The scapula shot worked perfectly, bear was standing upright, slight turn to my right. Put on 4.5 moa and placed the NP-R2 reticle exactly between his shoulders, bullet hit the right scapula, broke the spine also. 2"exit from a 200 gr. Accubond in .325 WSM. Shot was from a Spec Rest at 305 yards, could have done it at 500 the way that rifle was sitting so rock steady.

In my opinion, what is being discussed is not the ethics of a LR shot at dangerous game.. As it has been said, all animals deserve the same respect and therefore the same ethics, from the animal´s point of view, should be applied to LR shooting, either a bear or varmint.

The problem is not the ehtics but the responsability of the hunter, because of the unknown consequences of that shot if the bear is not killed. The same way as one should not shoot at an unidentified target or if there is a risk of a miss and a lost bullet ( at least in some areas), the shooter hunting dangerous game must decide if he should take the shot depending on his abilities and the conditions. if he can take the shot and has the proper equipment....why not ?

ceg1963 clearly stated that many hunters shoot a grizzly under 100 yds. with much less skill than a LR shooter may have, so the risk of an angry bruin is higher in those cases.besides, an unmolested animal is much easily killed or even tracked.

Let ceg1963 do his hunting.. and if he leaves the wounded bear in the wild ( which I am sure he´ll not ) .then it will be the time to scowl him ¡¡ ( and avoid his hunting area ¡¡).

yep! its what i heard. keep it a secret,but,what i heard was to wear sneakers while others wear their boots cuz all i have to do is out-run you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.