Long Range Coyote calling on East Coast

RandyinVa

I have long been told that western Yote hunters would not consider trying it on the east coast because the terrain is not well suited. I have an opportunity to cover vast open areas with 700 to over 1000 yds in an area where a call has produced kills. Other farms may be well over that and offer an opportunity to take one still or walking. I shoot targets regularly well over that.

I have the experience and stick to take them long and anything closer but would love to get input from those that have done it. I am not sure whether I could hit one hot trotting it in from various distances and angles. I am guessing that a whistle or equivalent is used to stop them and that you have maybe 5 seconds to get the shot off.

I have the Horus Tremore-3 reticule and could have an easy referenced card as to what vertical line to take at each distance which should give me an edge or someone with simple crosshairs, Any advice appreciated,

Also, can they see extremely well or are they just good in picking up movement? Books or online sites that I should seek out?

Coyotes can see very good and can smell things better and further away than a Deer,using a Mouth Call and making a Bark/KiYii or Pup Distress sound usually stops them for a few seconds and a shot opportunity....a Rabbit in Distress or Fawn Call helps in calling them in.

What Caliber Rifle are You plan on using?I'm just West of the Mississippi (Missouri) and our shot opportunities are usually ranging from very Close-up Shotgun worthy and with a Rifle anywhere from 30-50-100 and out to 200-300 yards with a few areas worthy of further shots down in the Bottoms along the Mississippi River.Most Coyotes Hunters around here strive on calling in Coyotes and other Predators as close as possible and out smarting them by using the wind to hide our scent.

I've got a Ridge Top Field that's worthy of a few long shots ranging 300 to 500 yards but I would need to get a more powerful scope and the rest of Missouri has rolling hills,hollers and woods.

Attachments

• 20160210_171440.jpg
    20160210_171440.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 189
I can tell by your story that you are new to coyote killing. Maybe you should come to the west & see how we do it. We shoot them from 20 feet to way-the-f#%k out there.

For Catahoula and GTOHunter...thanx for the replies, I am way into long range shooting and if I can't get them way out there I won't do it at all. I have not done it yet but will likely
Thanksgiving.

I have a .260 Ackly for long and a .17 MkIV for up to 300.
Since I have huge open fields, why can't I stop him at 500 or so. I realize hitting him moving at distance is unlikely. I will be shooting NC.

Randy set you up a feed station (if legal). Road killed deer or gut piles from deer season. Dead cows. Anything a butcher might throw away. Set you up a blind with a good rest and then the bait at whatever range you what. Put it in an area frequently used by coyotes. Be patient and you will get your shot.

I live out west and exclusively hunt at night using a .223. The furthest I've poked coyotes is 375 yards and both fell right there. Typically, my shots are 200 and less, with the one last night at 202 yards.

Coyotes are easy to stop, it's just a matter of wind speed and direction when you start talking about those distances. I typically use a vocal bark to check up the coyotes I shoot, and I believe it could be done at distances out to about 500 or more yards. Coyotes have excellent ears... and eyes. The whole reason they check up on their way in is to investigate what they are coming into, as well as reacquire their target. I've been hunting coyotes a long time and only a few instances in the dead of winter have I ever seen coyotes run in 700 yards without stopping along the way. Opportunities should present themselves possibly even if you don't bark/kiyi stop them.

Last nights coyote...
Screenshot_20161120-055313.jpg

and about a 225 yard shot...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxlfLQ8HKBs

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.