Long Range Contender

1000 yard Dogs

Sundance08065-2.jpg

Sundance08070-1.jpg

Howdy , just thought I'd Post a update on "The Block" . On a recent trip to Wy , I was able to spend a couple days with my friends Ernie Bishop and Steve Hugel ,shooting some Dogs .. I do so enjoy sharing time with folks that like to do the same type of shooting I do ...During this time I was able to attain the 1000 yd goals ,I had started over a yr ago . With Steve's help spotting we got "The Block" to 1045 yards at first , then the next morning early we got it out to 1140 yds . We managed 2 clean at 1045 , with a another hit ,but the dog got its hole . Big lesson learned .. never shoot at a dog on top of its hole .. always shoot at the ones off to the side ,away from the hole ..lol . after cleaning the barrel , it took 13 shots to fowl and get these...
The next morning we went out early , again after cleaning , we got a double (2 with 1 shot ) at 1140 yards in 8 shots .
People might say thats alot of rounds ,but I am pretty pleased , As Far as we know , this has never been done before with a 22 caliber , in a Contender pistol ... I really thank Steve for the help with this , his skills with a spotting scope are just hard to describe . And Ernie and Emily , THANKS .. so much for all the Hospitality and Sharing such a great time ....Its wonderful having such great friends .

Last edited by a moderator:
correction

. Also Slim L was with us on the previous Day , and he was able to get into the VH 500 yd club ... was a great time . As we are all members of VH ,these pics will be sent and recorded their ... thanks again

Ray

That's some remarkable shooting. Congratulations on achieving your goals. I enjoy setting goals and working toward them.

I only come to this part of the forum every once in a while because I am such a poor pistol shot.

Ray, way to Go, that is some kind of shooting. Hope you bring the "Block" to WY this fall for the antelope hunt, would really like to see it in action. great pics and story.
nmhunter

Whoooahh!! man it was fun. Nothing quite like spotting with those 32X Kowas. Brings them right up next to you. I saw the vapor trails go right into those dogs, and they flipped around for a bit then laid still--sweeet! The 1140 was a mother and it's youngster. Went thru the neck of the smaller and thru the body of the larger dog. Both seemed to die instantly--no hopping around. Truly the unluckiest pair of PD's ever.

Probably a "world record" Contender shot...if anybody's keeping track.

BTW Len--see u in Casper this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.