Long range city slicker!

7mmpredator

This is apartment living in the city with a slight twist! You can't make this edit up!

elkmount01.jpg
elkmount03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
7mmpredator, well that looks small enough for a NYC apartment...is it your apartment and mount?

Yep Chas, this is my humble abode. Did you catch the Rockchucker press at the end of the table? I'm living like a Navy Seal.....at a moments notice I can armed to the gills and ready for adventure!

You gotta love this sport. It's not just a hobby, it flows through your veins!

We're gonna see....I just hung it today! To say he dominates the room is an under statement. Can't wait to get a chinese food delivery!

There's an outdoor range in the town of Courtland 31 miles north of here. It's a sprawling property with a modern pistol setup, skeet range, archery and the 100 and 200 yd bog bore. I've also have a wall full of whitetail horns I've taken with a bow just two or three miles from the range.

Four miles from the range is Camp Smith, a National Guard range that goes out to 600 yds. but a civilian can only get in if he participates in competition. F-class for example. so I'm preppin up to weasel my way in there with my tactical 7WSM. I'm trying to juggle equipment to make room (money) for a NF NXS.

Other than that I take to the field in the Catskills and set up targets at whatever ranges the terrain allows and have at it.

And of course my occasional but favorite jaunts out to Wyoming.
I was invited to Texas to hunt whitetails this fall with a good guy that
I met at elk camp that has a lease all by himself.

I envy those that can step out their back door and shoot and hunt these wonderful species but I'm turning that envy into a plan. One day sooner than later we'll be neighbors!!!

Peace

I grew up on LI and in 83' when I left there were 3 outdoor ranges...now there's one way out east so I was just curious. I used to hunt in East Durham late 60's.

That one out east Calverton is still there. I used to go to Melville on 110 near Huntington as well. I went to shoot this morning right after coffee. The 600 yd crew were there and we made plans to meet at the next event next month.

The one guy shoots a dedicated $custom rig and finishes in the middle of the pack. He doesn't hand load though and I always outshoot him at 200yds.

Gotta get my foot in the door and see how I can do in the wind!

Melville LI zip code 11747 know it well lived there from 54'-70' and then from 74'-83. Shot quite a few times at that range it was near the sandpits. Also shot the one they used to have in Islip...shame they're gone. Best of luck getting your foot in the door. Let us know how you made out.

Good for you!!!

I did 2 years in Colo. Springs and 8 in Phoenix. Too bad I didn't know what I had when I was there. Now I'm paying thru the nose to get back just to hunt! I'll send you a pic of some unit 9 AZ sheds.

These are not from the same bull. My wife found one and I the other. We were scouting for mulies about 2 miles south of the Grand Canyon

elk3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.