Long range capability = shooting oppurtunities and success?

One advantage to long range capability I have seen right off the bat is the terrain. Out on the west coast we have a lot of thick brush and "reprod." If you're the average guy, you can spot the elk or deer at 800 to 1000yds and wonder how you're going to make a successful hunt on the animal based on the terrain he is in. The animal you spot will often be in a small patch of feed surrounded by reprod. I have seen many guys try and go in on bulls and hope to get a shot and watch as they blow the bull out of there. Or even try to parallel the ridge that the bull is on in order to shoot a short shot accross only to let the bull wind them and watch him run off. They do it over and over hoping that the next time it might work for them. This is where the competent long range shooter can set up to 1000 yards or more and wait for the shot to be right and it's all over. Also, if you're the average guy, it may take you a couple of hours to get close to that animal and in the mean time he may have went back in the timber or someone else may be already cutting him up when you get "close enough."

Howdy Folks, Just getting very interested in long range hunting.
The thought of hunting public lands in the west for mule deer and elk really appeal to me.
For those of you who hunt in open country, have you found that having the equipment and ability to shoot out to 800-1000yds has greatly increased your shot oppurtunities and have led to sucess that you would not of had if you only had the ability to shoot to 250-300 yds? Thank's Brad

I got into LR because every year I'd see huge elk, or herds of elk or other game at distances around 1000 yards and wouldn't usually be able to get closer to them. I though that if I could shoot 1K I'd bag an elk every year, or get a better one. Wrong! I found out that I can rarely shoot that far, my rangefinder won't range that far unless it's the most ideal conditions ever, I can't get a good enough hold to shoot that far, temperature makes my gunpowder burn slower and changes my POI when I try and shoot that far, and on and on. So, yeah, if I could actually shoot 1K under any circumstances, at any angle, without worrying about wind, without needing hardly any time to get set up for the shot or do the math, then yes- being able to shoot that far would increase my odds.

I am getting there with my skills and equipment, but it is not as easy a road to go down as the TV shows would have you believe.

I got into LR because every year I'd see huge elk, or herds of elk or other game at distances around 1000 yards and wouldn't usually be able to get closer to them. I though that if I could shoot 1K I'd bag an elk every year, or get a better one. Wrong! I found out that I can rarely shoot that far, my rangefinder won't range that far unless it's the most ideal conditions ever, I can't get a good enough hold to shoot that far, temperature makes my gunpowder burn slower and changes my POI when I try and shoot that far, and on and on. So, yeah, if I could actually shoot 1K under any circumstances, at any angle, without worrying about wind, without needing hardly any time to get set up for the shot or do the math, then yes- being able to shoot that far would increase my odds.

I am getting there with my skills and equipment, but it is not as easy a road to go down as the TV shows would have you believe.
Troutslayer2,

Shooting targets at 1k is a lot of work and I got the same rude awakening as you the first time I tried hunting at long range. ...money down the drain for that rangefinder. So, I came up with a 1200 CRF. And, it didn't work well the first time out. Someone here told me to change the battery and that got me back on track.

Fortunately, good equipment, rifles, and components are more affordable now than ever. Even forums like this weren't available back in the day.

Nonetheless, it a learning process that takes patience and practice and I figure if a guy gets good with targets at 1k, he'll be a lot better prepared if an opportunity presents itself at 500-700 yds.

--richard

Troutslayer, You are exactly right, shooting critters at 1000 is not as easy as the TV shows make it look!

The reason is that the shows don't (and really can't) show the time, effort, practice, etc, etc that goes into making that shot. In many cases the shot really is pretty easy, but it is the culmination of many many hours of study and work.

In my opinion, if a person is just getting into LR shooting so he can make a 1000 yard shot on an elk, he probably will not be very successful at it. In order to be willing to put in the time, effort and money into LR shooting, you must enjoy LR shooting as a personal challenge. The side benefit is that in the right circumstances and conditions you can make that 1K shot on the elk of a lifetime across the canyon.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned about the TV shows: what do you think the odds are that the missed shots are shown? :D

This is a great thread for the newbies.

Generally I find it much easier to hunt LR with a partner, who can asist in ranging and keeping track of the target animal. The comunication also helps to calm nerves that can get in the way of a well executed shot. One of my favorite hunting partners took a great mulie at over 1000 this fall alone, and afterwords one of his coments was he really could have used a spoter to help him get on the animal and keep himself relaxed, (oh and retrival:rolleyes:)

I will add that the 1000 yard mark is a lofty goal for anyone who is new to the game. I have been at it seriously for 6 seasons and my longest has been 826.
I shoot 1000 yard f-class and that can be enlightening entertainment when it comes to LRH practice. The good thing is when hunting we can choose weather or not to shoot in windy conditions and adjust our max killing range accordingly.

I shoot a 20lb gun at 1000 yard f-class, and the wind is what it is so you shoot, great experience if your ever in the field and thinking about a long shot in the wind with a 14lb rifle.

Another thing on a LRH side vs the comp shooting is we can take advantage of the larger cartriges with muzzle brakes, that an f-classer can't due to the excessive recoil generated by those cartriges in un-braked guns.

Any western hunt I go on, I bring the heavier long range gun, and a light gun capable of 0-600 yards. The light gun wears a 3x9 and is my "exploration gun" when covering new ground, If I find a nice LRH set-up I may return during the week and sit on it all day with the heavy. This years hunt was no exception and the light gun was used at 30 yards on an escaping bull in the thick stuff. I guess I take them where I can get them but I enjoy the LR sit and glass hunting much more.

Troutslayer, you make some valid points and everyone who starts down the long range path runs in to these realities. Good news is that they are ALL easily fixable with money and the willingness to spend the time learning and practicing. It just comes down to asking yourself how bad do you really want it? There are plenty of guys on here who have successfully taken game at a whole lot farther than 1000 yards. They have and are putting in the time and effort it requires to stay sharp. The advice you may need to fix your hang ups can be found on this forum.

I thank all of you for your replies. I chose the 800-1000tds in my first post as round long range figures. I may or may not ever make a shot like that while hunting but, it is a skill to be aspired to. The thing that really got me interested in the possibility of long range hunting was myself and others have stated "well, we seen some but they were to far" I was wanting to be able to do away with that excuse. I've also noticed that since my interest has peaked in long range hunting that I find myself scanning the far distances as I pass pasture, open areas, plains and such and in so doing have seen deer that I may not of noticed before. I can't believe that with the right equipment and skill, I will not be more successful and have more fun hunting than being tied to hunting tight areas with a 200yd rifle. Thank's agin for all your responses. Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.