long range calibers

dogear

What are the best calibers for accuracy out to 1000yds and beyond for target/hunting? Best brands of these rifles for the money? I keep hearing good things about Serbu 50BMG. How does 338 Lapua Mag compare to 50BMG as to range/accuracy? Trying to decide whether to get 1 or 2 rifles/calibers, 50BMG and/or 338 Lapua Mag. Especially want to get into long range target. Thanks. Dogear

Heard on the grapevine that a new world record group has been set at 1000yds and also 1 mile with the 7mm WSM . Guess that's not a bad recommendation . I might be biased , I've got one .

Personal minimums for hunting game at 1000yds, 162gr 7mm with a muzzle vel over 3000fps. Better choices include 210 to 240gr 30cal or 225 to 300gr 338 all at muzzle vel min. 3000fps.

Would I do this for paper punching alone, nope. Probably look at a 6mm or 6.5. A 6BR also just set a new record at 1000yds - score record I believe. However, these are too light for hunting at ranges approaching 1000yds.

Forget the 50cal unless you have a huge budget and/or can make your own bullets.

The 338 Lapua is ok but the improved versions based on the Lapua, RUM, and Rigby case are better. Only consider barrels long enough to get adequate muzzle vel.

All of the above are used in 1000yd/m BR shooting so accuracy is not an issue if the gun is built properly and you can dope the conditions.

Jerry

for hunting out to 1k, you're probably going to need something in the 30 cal range for energy.

as far as punching paper, truth be known, just about anything will work. its easier than most people think, and as stated above, the new record was set with a 6br. although i think 223 is a tad light, i've shot beside a guy with 243 and watched him run right with me and my 300rum.

half of it is about working out a good LR load than will remain stable and subsonic out that far. just about any gun can do it, you have have to find a good bullet/load combo.

most 1k shooters will tell you thought its all about wind out there. put someone beside me that can read it good with any gun, and they'll kick me and my 300rum's *** all day long.

caliber is more of a preference thing, and anything 243 and up will do it fine. for hunting though, stick on the larger size to keep energy levels up.

-brian

Doggear
For targets at 1000 yards the big 30's are what the top dogs are using.Look at the 1000 yard club websites and look at the aggregates not the one group records.One group is just that one group and you want consistency.As to the 50 bmg and the 338 anything there is no comparison at all as 50 bmg wins hands down in every category at 1000 and beyond.As Jerry said is does cost more for bullets and powder but cases are cheaper than 338 Lapua and accuracy is outstanding.Here are a couple websites that will dispell all the 50 bmg myths. www.biggerhammer.net and www.fcsa.org
Lynn

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.