long range bullets

W

*WyoWhisper*

Depending on your rifles twist usually the 308 is a 12 twist, the 168 SMKs and 175 SMKs should both work.. try Varget about 42.2 grs to 45-46 grs.... My barrel is 23.5 inches and a muzzle break.. I shoot the 168 at 2770 pushed by 46 grs of varget. The 175s at about 2750 pushed by 46 grs of varget....

I get honest 2" groups at 500 with that combo.....

I am just getting started and was woundering what bullets you use for your lang range hunting. I have never needed the extra accuracy of handloads over factory ammo because I have always been able to get with in 100 yards of the deer that I hunt.

I was just woundering what types of bullets you would use to hunt Whitetails out to 450-500 yards.

Thanks for any info

Oh the caliber I will be using is .308 Win.

jordan

you would use a smk on whitetails? I never knew a person to use a match bullet on deer.

Thanks though

jordan

http://www.serveroptions.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/003036.html

Jordan, Here is an ongoing discussion of Matchkings and hunting.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif
shocked.gif

Have fun, MM

Hello

The Sierra MK is the BEST hunting bullets I have ever used. They kill clean at any range I have used them.
They have worked for me in the hunting fields in EVERY rifle I have shot them in.

I started using them in 1962 on deer and then the 140 Gr MK in a 264 and 6.5/300 Weatherby was the hot cartridge on the block.
Have used the 168 gr in the 7mms, the 200, 220 and 240 gr in a host of Longrange 30 cals and now the 338 300 gr MK in my Rigby improved.

They work, trust me.
Darryl Cassel

For those who must shoot a "hunting" bullet, the Nosler BT and hornady SST are some of the best. Very accurate, high BC's, and "tough enough" for game. I use them and love them. Also doing some testing with the Amax at long range. Should make a great deer bullet.

Do some accuracy and penetration/expansion tests at 500yds with your 308. You are going to have to shoot that far any ways to see if you and your equipment are up to the task. You will be quite surprised at how well "fragile match" bullets work at long range and reduced impact vel.

Some of the premium hunting bullets actually fail at long range. Do not expand sufficiently. Built too tough or are not accurate enough.

If my combo can bust through a deer, elk, or moose at my max range. I really don't care if I used a match or hunting bullet. The results speak for themselves.

Good luck...

Jerry

Jerry T. I was just saying since I don,t have any Exp. with the bullets that I will be hesitant to use them on game. But hunting season is a long way off. I didn't say that they where not enough fo deer. I just have no first hand Exp. with them that is all.

Jordan

wow those guys argue way to much. I will not desput the claim that it is a good bullet though. Mainly because I have not seen it first hand knowledge of it. So I may have to try them latter. What about Nosler Balistic tip bullets?

wow those guys argue way to much. I will not desput the claim that it is a good bullet. Mainly because I have not seen it first hand knowledge of it. So I may have to try them latter. What about Nosler Balistic tip bullets?

Hey Jordan, if I came across strong, my apologies. It is great that you are asking these questions. On this board, you will get non conventional answers.

Like I said in my post, the only way to find out for yourself is to try the different combinations on real "targets". I am going to do some further testing on milk jugs and phone books so that I will feel confident of my shot on a deer. Remember that a good load at 100 yds may not group at all at longer ranges.

What you will find is that high BC bullets change the effective distance of many rounds. As an example, many think that 1000ft-lbs at the game is a good amount of energy for deer size game. No one will argue that a 30 cal is big enough to do the job. Now look at what happens to the lowly 308 win when high BC bullets (155gr Amax or MK) are launched at 2950fps. On paper, it has an effective range of over 600yds!! Most would consider the 308 a 250yds cartridge max. With blunt hunting bullets, they may be right.

At the low impact vel, Ballistic tips, SST, MK all become controlled expansion bullets. Performance is usually excellent as is penetration.

I think you will enjoy the info and the projects that are presented on this board. Keep an open mind and remember that the posters here are basing their findings on real world experience, not arm chair ballistics. Many in the conventional world cannot or will not accept these facts.

Good luck...

Jerry

Hi Jordan,
A couple of weeks ago I tried those fragile 220 grain matchkings on a steel sawblade at 820. They punched 3 very nice 3/4 inch holes through it. I think they will make it through bambi.
I have never been much of a "premium" hunting bullet fan anyways. Before trying this long range stuff I mainly used the cheap Hornady flat base 150's and took almost as many deer as I fired bullets. And there's been a bunch. I say almost as many due to occasionally throwing another into them before they knew they were dead. And then there were those long range misses..... That's why I'm here.
Talk with you later,
HPA

I have had good results with 180 gr. Combined Tech. Ballistic Silver tips. They are somewhat destructive at close range{200-300yds}so go for the lungs. The 168 Combined Tech. Silvertip has a BC. of .490!! That opens up a whole new world for the 308 Win. Good luck, and keep in the bubble!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.